Cole County, Missouri
Cole County was created on November 16, 1820 from Cooper County (effective January 1, 1821). The county was named in honor of Jefferson City.
The Cole County Seat is situated in Jefferson City and in addition the county government website is www.colecounty.org/
Areas surrounding Cole County include Boone County (north), Callaway County (northeast), Osage County (southeast), Miller County (southwest), Moniteau County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Cole County include Jefferson City, Centertown, St. Martins, Wardsville, Taos, Russellville, Lohman, St. Thomas.
Cole County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process
You can search online for Cole County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Cole County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Cole Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Cole Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cole Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cole Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Cole County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Cole County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Cole County Historical Society, 109 Madison Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; Phone: (573) 635-1850
- Missouri Society for Military History, 2007 Retention Drive, Jefferson City, MO 65101-1203
- Supreme Court of Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 448, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri Mansion Preservation, P.O. Box 1133, 100 Madison Street, Jefferson City, MO 65102; Phone: (573) 751-4141
- Genealogical Society of Central Missouri, P.O. Box 26 3801 Ponderosa , Columbia, MO 65205; Phone: (573) 443-8936
- Missouri Forest Heritage Center, P.O. Box 104748, Jefferson City, MO 65110; Phone: (573) 634-6002
- Mid-Missouri Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 715, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Cole County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Cole County
- Cole County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Cole County
- USGenWeb Archives for Cole County
Cole County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Cole County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Cole County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Cole County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
- Cole County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 311 E. High Street, Jefferson City, Missouri 65101
- Cole County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 573-634-9115
- Marriage Records: 1821 (including Index to marriage records, 1821-1919; Marriage records, 1821-1919; Application for marriage licenses, 1896-1903; Marriage licenses, 1821-1900)
- Land Records: 1821 (including Index to deeds, 1821-1895; Deed records, 1821-1888)
- Cole County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (573)-634-9177
- Probate Records: 1834 (including Index to probate records, 1871-1877; Probaterecords, 1834-1884; Index to probate proceedings, 1834-1887; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1857-1877; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1854-1891; Settlement records, 1875-1890; Will records, 1855-1926)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1821 (including Index to circuit court records, 1821–1861 and 1870-1930; Circuit court records, 1821-1890)
- Cole County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: 573 634-9101
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-1906 (including Permanent record of births, 1883-1 906; Register of births, 1883-1906; Register of deaths, 1883-1906)
- Cole County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Cole County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Cole County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Cole County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Cole County genealogy or family history related sites.
Cole Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Cole Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Cole Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Missouri
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Cole County, Missouri Births, 1883-1906 (search.ancestry.com)
- Cole County, Missouri Marriages: 1821-51 (search.ancestry.com)
- Cole County, Missouri Deaths, 1883-1906 (search.ancestry.com)
- Cole County, Missouri Deaths, 1924-1930 (search.ancestry.com)
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935 (familysearch.org)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Cole Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Cole Co. MO Census Records
Cole Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Cole Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Cole Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Cole Co. MO General and History Websites
Cole Co. MO Military Records
Cole Co. MO Schools & Directories