Christian County, Missouri
Christian County was created on March 8, 1859 from Greene County, Taney County and Webster County. The county was named in honor of William Christian (1743-1786), colonel in the American Revolution.
The Christian County Seat is situated in Ozark and in addition the county government website is christiancountymo.gov
Areas surrounding Christian County include Greene County (north), Webster County (northeast), Douglas County (east), Taney County (south), Stone County (southwest), Lawrence County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Christian County include Billings, Boaz, Bruner, Chadwick, Chestnutridge, Clever, Elkhead, Fremont Hills, Garrison, Highlandville, Keltner, Linden, Nixa, Oldfield, Ozark, Saddlebrooke, Sparta, Spokane, Springfield.
Christian County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process./p>
You can search online for Christian County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Christian County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Christian Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1860. Christian Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Christian Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Christian Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Christian County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Christian County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri (raogk.org)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Christian County Museum and Historical Society, P.O. Box 442, 202 East Church, Ozark, MO 65721; Phone: (417) 581-7154
- Christian County Library, 1005 N. Fourth Ave, Ozark, MO 65721; Phone (417) 581-2432
- White River Valley Historical Society, P.O. Box 555, Point Lookout, MO 65726
- Civil War Round Table of the Ozarks, 606 N Seventh Ave, Ozark, MO 65721; Phone: (417) 485-6606
- Ozarks Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3945, 534 West Catalpa, Springfield, MO 65808; Phone: (417) 831-2773
- Christian County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Christian County
- Christian County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Christian County
- USGenWeb Archives for Christian County
Christian County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Christian County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Christian County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Christian county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth. Arsonists destroyed the building and all court records on August 20, 1865.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
- Christian County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 W. Church, Ozark 65721
- Christian County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (417) 582-4360
- Marriage Records: 1866 (including Index to marriage records, 1886-1923; Marriage records, 1866-1917)
- Land Records: 1861 (including Index to deeds, 1865-1890; Deed records, 1865-1893)
- Christian County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (417) 581-6372
- Probate Records: 1864 (including Probate records, 1870-1891; Probate minutes, 1881-1890; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1865-1904; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1865-1913; Settlement records, 1866-1899; Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1873-1890; Will records, 1864-1925 )
- Court & Divorce Records: 1865 (including Index to circuit court records, 1883-1891; Circuit court records, 1865-1891)
- Christian County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: 417-582-4340
- Birth & Death Records: Births: 1840-1904; Deaths 1883-84 (including Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1889; Record of births, 1840-1904;State census,1876;Assessment records,1868-1875 and 1881-1885)
- Christian County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Christian County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Christian County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Christian County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Christian County genealogy or family history related sites.
Christian Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Christian Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Christian Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Christian Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Christian Co. MO Census Records
Christian Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Christian Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Christian Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Christian Co. MO General and History Websites
Christian Co. MO Military Records
Christian Co. MO Schools & Directories