Christian County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Christian County, Missouri Facts
When was Christian County, MO Created?
Christian County was created on March 8, 1859 from Greene County, Taney County and Webster County. The county was named in honor of William Christian (1743-1786), colonel in the American Revolution.
What is the County Seat of Christian County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Ozark and in addition the county government website is christiancountymo.gov
What counties are adjacent to Christian County, MO?
Bordering Counties are Greene County (north), Webster County (northeast), Douglas County (east), Taney County (south), Stone County (southwest), Lawrence County (west).
What cities and towns are in Christian County, MO?
Cities and towns located in the County include Billings, Boaz, Bruner, Chadwick, Chestnutridge, Clever, Elkhead, Fremont Hills, Garrison, Highlandville, Keltner, Linden, Nixa, Oldfield, Ozark, Saddlebrooke, Sparta, Spokane, Springfield.
Christian County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Christian County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Christian County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Christian County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Christian County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Missouri Birth & Death Records Database Pre-1910: Search & Record Availability
- Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935
- Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002
- Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920
- Missouri Marriages, 1851-1900
- Missouri Marriages, 1766-1983
- Missouri Marriages to 1850
- Missouri Marriages Before 1840
- Missouri Death Records Database, Pre-1910
- Missouri Death Certificates, 1910 – 1961
- Missouri, Deaths and Burials Index, 1873-1976
- Missouri Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976
- Missouri, Death Records, 1834-1910
- Missouri Still Birth & Miscellaneous Records, 1805-2002
Christian County, MO Census Records
What Christian County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Christian County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Christian Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1860. Christian Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Christian Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Christian Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Christian County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
Christian County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Christian County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Christian County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Missouri Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Arsonists destroyed the building and all court records on August 20, 1865.
- Christian County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 W. Church, Ozark 65721
- Christian County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (417) 582-4360
- Marriage Records: 1866 (including Index to marriage records, 1886-1923; Marriage records, 1866-1917)
- Land Records: 1861 (including Index to deeds, 1865-1890; Deed records, 1865-1893)
- Christian County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (417) 581-6372
- Probate Records: 1864 (including Probate records, 1870-1891; Probate minutes, 1881-1890; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1865-1904; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1865-1913; Settlement records, 1866-1899; Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1873-1890; Will records, 1864-1925 )
- Court & Divorce Records: 1865 (including Index to circuit court records, 1883-1891; Circuit court records, 1865-1891)
- Christian County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: 417-582-4340
- Birth & Death Records: Births: 1840-1904; Deaths 1883-84 (including Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1889; Record of births, 1840-1904;State census,1876;Assessment records,1868-1875 and 1881-1885)
- Christian County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Christian County, Missouri Transcribed Records
- Local Records Inventory Database
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 - 1969
- BLM Land Records
Christian County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Christian County, MO?
A list of Christian County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Christian County Museum and Historical Society, P.O. Box 442, 202 East Church, Ozark, MO 65721; Phone: (417) 581-7154
- Christian County Library, 1005 N. Fourth Ave, Ozark, MO 65721; Phone (417) 581-2432
- White River Valley Historical Society, P.O. Box 555, Point Lookout, MO 65726
- Civil War Round Table of the Ozarks, 606 N Seventh Ave, Ozark, MO 65721; Phone: (417) 485-6606
- Ozarks Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3945, 534 West Catalpa, Springfield, MO 65808; Phone: (417) 831-2773
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Christian County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Christian County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Christian County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Christian Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Christian Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Christian Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Christian Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Christian Co. MO General and History Websites
Christian Co. MO Military Records
Christian Co. MO Schools & Directories