Cass County, Missouri
Genealogy and Facts
Cass County, Missouri genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Cass Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Cass County was created on March 3, 1835 from Jackson County. The county was named in honor of Lewis Cass (1782-1866), senator from Michigan.
The Cass County Seat is situated in Harrisonville and in addition the county government website is www.casscounty.com
Areas surrounding Cass County include Jackson County (north), Johnson County (east), Henry County (southeast), Bates County (south), Miami County, Kansas (west), Johnson County, Kansas (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Cass County include Archie, Baldwin Park, Belton, Cleveland, Creighton, East Lynne, Freeman, Garden City, Gunn City, Harrisonville, Kansas City, Lake Annette, Lake Winnebago, Lee's Summit, Loch Lloyd, Peculiar, Pleasant Hill, Raymore, Strasburg, West Line.
Cass County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Cass Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Cass Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cass Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cass Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Cass County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Cass County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Cass County Historical Society, P O Box 406, 400 E Mechanic St., Harrisonville, MO 64701-0406;
Phone: (816) 887-2393
- Cass County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 406, 400 E. Mechanic St., Harrisonville, MO 64701; (816) 380-4396
- Belton Historical Society, P.O. Box 1144, 512 Main Street, Belton, MO 64012; Phone: (816) 322-3977
- Raymore Historical Society, P.O. Box 1483, 612 West Foxwood Drive, Raymore, MO 64083
- Belton, Grandview & Kansas City Railroad Co, 502 Walnut, Belton, MO 64012-2516; Phone: (816) 331-0630
- Freeman Historical Society, P.O. Box 13, Freeman, MO 64746
- Pleasant Hill Historical Society, 125 Wyoming Street, Pleasant Hill, MO 64080; Mailing address is P.O. Box 31, Pleasant Hill, MO 64080
- West Central Missouri Genealogical Society and Library , 705 Broad Street, Warrensburg, MO 64093-2032; Phone: (660) 747-6264
- Heart of America Genealogical Society and Library, c/o Kansas City Public Library, 311 East Twelfth Street, Kansas City, MO 64106
- Cass County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Cass County
- Cass County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Cass County
- USGenWeb Archives for Cass County
Cass County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Cass County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Cass County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Cass County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county.
- Cass County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 102 E Wall St, Harrisonville, MO 64701
- Cass County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 816-380-8123
- Marriage Records: 1836 (including Marriage records, 1836-1918)
- Land Records: 1837 (including Index to deeds, 1837-1886; Deed records, 1837-1899; Administrator’s deeds, 1879-1883; Quitclaim deeds, 1882-1896; Sheriff’s deeds, 1879-1883; Mortgage deeds, 1870-1871; School fund mortgages, 1869-1894; Deeds of trust, 1870-1903; Deed releases, 1884-1894)
- Cass County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: 816-380-8227
- Probate Records: 1835 (including Index to probate records, 1839-1956; Probate records, 1836-1887; Index to administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1830-1950; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1835-1901; Index to inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1861-1916; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1861-1887; Proof of publication, notices and affidavitts,1867-1881; Index to will records, 1830-1861; Will records, 1844-1918)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1835 (including Index to circuit court records, 1842-1888; Circuit court records, 1835-1886)
- Cass County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: 816-380-8102
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-1903 (including Permanent record of births, 1883-1899; Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1903; Index to common pleas, 1867-1878; Record of common pleas,1867-1878)
- Cass County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Cass County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Cass County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Cass County genealogy or family history related sites.
Cass Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Cass Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Cass Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Cass Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Cass Co. MO Census Records
Cass Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Cass Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Cass Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Cass Co. MO General and History Websites
Cass Co. MO Military Records
Cass Co. MO Schools & Directories