Carroll County, Missouri
Carroll County was created on January 2, 1833 from Ray County. The county was named in honor of Charles Carroll (1737-1832), delegate to the Continental Congress and U.S. Senator for Maryland.
The Carroll County Seat is situated in Carrollton and in addition the county government website is unknown
Areas surrounding Carroll County include Livingston County (north), Chariton County (east), Saline County (southeast), Lafayette County (southwest), Ray County (west), Caldwell County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Carroll County include Bogard, Bosworth, Carrollton, De Witt, Hale, Norborne, Stet, Tina, Wakenda, Brunswick.
Carroll County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process./p>
You can search online for Carroll County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Carroll County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Carroll Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Carroll Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Carroll Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Carroll Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Carroll County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Carroll County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri (raogk.org)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Carroll County Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 354, 206 West Washington, Carrollton, MO 64633; Phone: (660) 542-0183
- Carroll County Historical Society, 510 North Mason, Carrollton, MO 64633; Phone: (660) 542-1511 or (660) 542-2691
- Heart of America Genealogical Society and Library, c/o Kansas City Public Library, 311 East Twelfth Street, Kansas City, MO 64106
- Carroll County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Carroll County
- Carroll County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Carroll County
- USGenWeb Archives for Carroll County
Carroll County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Carroll County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Carroll County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Carroll county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
- Carroll County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 8 S. Main, Carrollton 64633
- Carroll County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 660-542-1466
- Marriage Records: 1833 (including Index to marriage records, 1833-1885; Marriage records, 1833-1920; Register of marriage licenses, 1907-1938; Negro/colored marriage records, 1865-1881)
- Land Records: 1833 (including Index to deeds, 1833-1887; Deed records, 1833-1924)
- Carroll County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (660) 542-1466
- Probate Records: 1833 (including Probate records, 1834-1887; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1833-1899; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1848-1890; Settlement records, 1854-1886; Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1874-1899; Will records, 1857-1917)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1833 (including Circuit court records, 1833-1886; Index to naturalization records, 1843-1900; Record of naturalization, 1881-1907)
- Carroll County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (660) 542-0615
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-90 (including Permanent record of births, 1883-1885; Record of deaths, 1883-1890)
- Carroll County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Carroll County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Carroll County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Carroll County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Carroll County genealogy or family history related sites.
Carroll Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Carroll Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Carroll Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Carroll Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Carroll Co. MO Census Records
Carroll Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Carroll Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Carroll Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Carroll Co. MO General and History Websites
Carroll Co. MO Military Records
Carroll Co. MO Schools & Directories