Camden County, Missouri
Genealogy and Facts
Camden County, Missouri genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Camden Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Camden County was created on January 29, 1841 from Benton County, Morgan County and Pulaski County. The county was named in honor of Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden (1714-1794), an English lawyer, judge, Whig politician, and proponent of civil liberties .
The Camden County Seat is situated in Camdenton and in addition the county government website is www.camdenmo.org
Areas surrounding Camden County include Morgan County (north), Miller County (northeast), Pulaski County (east), Laclede County (southeast), Dallas County (southwest), Hickory County (west), Benton County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Camden County include Branch, Camdenton, Climax Springs, Hurricane Deck, Kaiser, Lake Ozark, Linn Creek, Macks Creek, Montreal, Osage Beach, Richland, Stoutland, Sunrise Beach, Village of Four Seasons.
Camden County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Camden Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Camden Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Camden Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Camden Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Camden County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Camden County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Camden County Genealogical Association, P. O. Box 1094, Linn Creek, MO. 64052-1094 Meetings at Camden County Library, Camdenton, MO.
- Cameron Historical Society, 508 South Walnut St, Cameron MO 64429; Phone: 1-816- 632-3538
- Cameron Public Library, 312 N. Chestnut St, Cameron MO 64429-1737; 816-632-2311
- Camden County Museum-Historical Society, P.O. Box 19, 204 Locust Street, Linn Creek, MO 65052; Phone: (573) 346-7191
- Camden County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Camden County
- Camden County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Camden County
- USGenWeb Archives for Camden County
Camden County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Camden County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Camden County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Camden County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county. Courthouse burned 1902. Some deeds were re-recorded in 1902.
- Camden County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 Court Circle, NW, Camdenton, Missouri 65020
- Camden County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 573-346-4440
- Marriage Records: 1902 (including Index to marriages, 1902-1916; Marriage records, 1902-1943)
- Land Records: 1849 (including Index to deeds. 1849-1910; Deed records, 1849-1911)
- Camden County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: 573-346-4440
- Probate Records: 1902 (including Will records, 1902-1933)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1902
- Camden County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (573) 317-3890
- Birth & Death Records: ?
- Camden County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Camden County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Camden County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Camden County genealogy or family history related sites.
Camden Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Camden Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Camden Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Camden Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Camden Co. MO Census Records
Camden Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Camden Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Camden Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Camden Co. MO General and History Websites
Camden Co. MO Military Records
Camden Co. MO Schools & Directories