Callaway County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Callaway County, Missouri Facts
When was Callaway County, MO Created?
Callaway County was created on November 25, 1820 from Boone County, Howard County and Montgomery County (effective January 1, 1821). The county was named in honor of James Callaway (1783-1815), soldier during the War of 1812 and grandson of Daniel Boone.
What is the County Seat of Callaway County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Fulton and in addition the county government website is callaway.dbrl.org/
What counties are adjacent to Callaway County, MO?
Bordering Counties are Audrain County (north), Montgomery County (east), Osage County (south), Cole County (southwest), Boone County (west).
What cities and towns are in Callaway County, MO?
Cities and towns located in the County include Auxvasse, Cedar City, Fulton, Holts Summit, Jefferson City, Kingdom City, Lake Mykee Town, Mokane, New Bloomfield, Portland, Tebbetts, Williamsburg. Callaway County is divided into 18 townships.
Callaway County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Callaway County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Callaway County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Callaway County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Callaway County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
- Callaway County, Missouri Marriages, 1870-1922
- Callaway County, Missouri Deaths, 1900-1948
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Missouri Birth & Death Records Database Pre-1910: Search & Record Availability
- Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935
- Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002
- Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920
- Missouri Marriages, 1851-1900
- Missouri Marriages, 1766-1983
- Missouri Marriages to 1850
- Missouri Marriages Before 1840
- Missouri Death Records Database, Pre-1910
- Missouri Death Certificates, 1910 – 1961
- Missouri, Deaths and Burials Index, 1873-1976
- Missouri Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976
- Missouri, Death Records, 1834-1910
- Missouri Still Birth & Miscellaneous Records, 1805-2002
Callaway County, MO Census Records
What Callaway County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Callaway County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Callaway Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Callaway Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Callaway Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Callaway Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Callaway County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
Callaway County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Callaway County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Callaway County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Missouri Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Callaway County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 10 East 5th St., Fulton, MO 65251
- Callaway County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 573-642-0787
- Marriage Records: 1821 (including Index to marriage records, 1821-1941; Marriage records, 1821-1917; Negro/colored marriage records, 1865-1915)
- Land Records: 1821 (including Index to deeds, 1821-1900; Deed records, 1821- 1911; Sheriff’s deeds, 1884-1904)
- Callaway County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: 573-642-0780
- Probate Records: 1821 (including Index to probate records, 1821-1938; Probate records, 1821-1886; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1865-1918; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1873-1917; Settlement records, 1863-1916; Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1821-1930; Will records, 1821-1919)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1821 (including )
- Callaway County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: 573.642.0730
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-88 (including State census, 1844 and 1876; Land owners list, 1840-1845; Assessment records, 1830)
- Callaway County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 - 1969
- BLM Land Records
Callaway County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Callaway County, MO?
A list of Callaway County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kingdom of Callaway Historical Society, P.O. Box 6073, 513 Court Street, Fulton, MO 65251; Phone: (573) 642-0570
- Winston Churchill Memorial and Library, Westminster College, 501 Westminster Avenue, Fulton, MO 65251-1299, Phone: (573) 592-5369
- Genealogical Society of Central Missouri, P.O. Box 26 3801 Ponderosa , Columbia, MO 65205; Phone: (573) 443-8936
- New Bloomfield Area Historical Society, 313 Oak Street, Post Office Box 132, New Bloomfield, MO 65063; (573)-491-0180
- Callaway County Civil War Heritage
- Mid-Missouri Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 715, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Callaway County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Callaway County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Callaway County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Callaway Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Callaway Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Callaway Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Callaway Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Callaway Co. MO General and History Websites
Callaway Co. MO Military Records
Callaway Co. MO Schools & Directories