Caldwell County, Missouri
Caldwell County was created on December 29, 1836 from Ray County. The county was named either in honor of John Caldwell, an Indian scout and friend of respected Colonel Alexander William Doniphan; John Caldwell, Lieutenant Governor of Kentucky; or Mathew Caldwell, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence .
The Caldwell County Seat is situated in Kingston and in addition the county government website is www.caldwellcountymissouri.com
Areas surrounding Caldwell County include Daviess County (north), Livingston County (east), Carroll County (southeast), Ray County (south), Clinton County (west), DeKalb County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Caldwell County include Braymer, Breckenridge, Cowgill, Hamilton, Kidder, Kingston, Polo.
Townships located inside of Caldwell County include Breckenridge, Davis, Fairview, Gomer, Grant, Hamilton, Kidder, Kingston, Lincoln, Mirabile, New York, Rockford.
Caldwell County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process./p>
You can search online for Caldwell County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Caldwell County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Caldwell Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Caldwell Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Caldwell Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Caldwell Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Caldwell County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Caldwell County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Caldwell County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Caldwell County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Caldwell County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Caldwell County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county. Fire consumed most county records when suspected arsonists set the courthouse ablaze April 19, 1860. On November 28, 1896, fire once again consumed the Caldwell County courthouse.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
- Caldwell County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 49 East Main, Kingston, MO 64650
- Caldwell County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 816.586.3080
- Marriage Records: 1860 (including Marriage records, 1860-1922; Applications for Marriage License, 1895-1919 )
- Land Records: 1835 (including Index to deeds, 1860-1887; Deed records, 1860-1903; Index to mortgages, 1876-1885; Mortgage deeds, 1860-1910; PIat book, 1835-1857; Government survey records, 1818-1823)
- Caldwell County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: 816.586.2771
- Probate Records: 1856 (including Index to probate records, 1857-1 896; Probate records, 1856-1887; Probate minutes, 1878-1882; Index to administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1856-1880; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1856-1888; Index to inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1860-1886; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1860-1886; Proof of publication, notices and affidavits, 1866-1889; Settlement records, 1870-?; Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1885-1892; Index to will records, 1860-1905; Will records, 1860-1929)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1859 (including Index to circuit court records, 1859-1889; Circuit court records, 1860-1886)
- Caldwell County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: 816.586.2571
- Birth & Death Records: ? (including )
- Caldwell County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Caldwell County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Caldwell County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Caldwell County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Caldwell County genealogy or family history related sites.
Caldwell Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Caldwell Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Caldwell Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Caldwell Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Caldwell Co. MO Census Records
Caldwell Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Caldwell Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Caldwell Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Caldwell Co. MO General and History Websites
Caldwell Co. MO Military Records
Caldwell Co. MO Schools & Directories