Butler County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Butler County, Missouri Facts
When was Butler County, MO Created?
Butler County was created on February 27, 1849 from Wayne County. The county was named in honor of William O. Butler (1791-1880), U.S. Representative from Kentucky and vice-presidential nominee under Lewis Cass.
What is the County Seat of Butler County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Poplar Bluff and in addition the county government website is unknown
What counties are adjacent to Butler County, MO?
Bordering Counties are Wayne County (north), Stoddard County (east), Dunklin County (southeast), Clay County, Arkansas (south), Ripley County (west), Carter County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Butler County, MO?
Cities and towns located in the County include Fisk, Neelyville, Poplar Bluff, Qulin.
What Townships are in Butler County, MO?
Townships located in the County include Ash Hill, Beaver Dam, Black River, Cane Creek, Coon Island, Epps, Gillis Bluff, Neely, Poplar Bluff, St. Francois.
Butler County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Butler County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Butler County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Butler County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Butler County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Missouri Birth & Death Records Database Pre-1910: Search & Record Availability
- Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935
- Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002
- Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920
- Missouri Marriages, 1851-1900
- Missouri Marriages, 1766-1983
- Missouri Marriages to 1850
- Missouri Marriages Before 1840
- Missouri Death Records Database, Pre-1910
- Missouri Death Certificates, 1910 – 1961
- Missouri, Deaths and Burials Index, 1873-1976
- Missouri Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976
- Missouri, Death Records, 1834-1910
- Missouri Still Birth & Miscellaneous Records, 1805-2002
Butler County, MO Census Records
What Butler County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Butler County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Butler Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Butler Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Butler Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Butler Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Butler County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
Butler County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Butler County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Butler County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Missouri Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Butler County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 N Main, Poplar Bluff, MO 63901
- Butler County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 573 686 8086
- Marriage Records: 1878 (including Index to marriage records, 1878-1921; Marriage records, 1878-1921)
- Land Records: 1849 (including Index to deeds, 1849-1889; Deed records, 1850-1899)
- Butler County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (573) 686-8050
- Probate Records: 1849 (including Index to probate records, 1849-1890; Probate records, 1849-1891; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1866-1889; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1876-1886; Settlement records, 1877-1891; Will records, 1869-1922)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1849 (including Circuit court records, 1849-1887)
- Butler County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: 573) 686-8050
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-93 (including Permanent record of births, 1883-1893; Register of Births and Stillbirths, 1883-1893; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1893)
- Butler County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 - 1969
- BLM Land Records
Butler County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Butler County, MO?
A list of Butler County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Butler County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 413, Poplar Bluff 63901
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Butler County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Butler County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Butler County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Butler Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Butler Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Butler Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Butler Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Butler Co. MO General and History Websites
Butler Co. MO Military Records
Butler Co. MO Schools & Directories