Boone County, Missouri
Genealogy and Facts
Boone County, Missouri genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Boone Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Boone County was created on November 16, 1820 from Howard County (effective January 1, 1821). The county was named in honor of Daniel Boone (1734-1820), American pioneer and hunter.
The Boone County Seat is situated in Columbia and in addition the county government website is www.showmeboone.com/
Areas surrounding Boone County include Randolph County (north), Audrain County (northeast), Callaway County (east), Cole County (south), Moniteau County (southwest), Cooper County (west), Howard County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Boone County include Ashland, Centralia, Columbia, Hallsville, Harrisburg, Hartsburg, Huntsdale, McBaine, Pierpont, Rocheport, Sturgeon, Two Mile Prairie.
Boone County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Boone Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Boone Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Boone Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Boone Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Boone County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Boone County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Boone-Duden Historical Society, P.O. Box 82 , New Melle, MO 63365
- Boone County Historical Society, 3801 Ponderosa Drive, Columbia, MO 65201; (573) 443-8936
- Missouri Alliance for Historic Preservation, P.O. Box 1715, Columbia, MO 65205-1715; Ph: (573) 443-5946
- John William Boone Heritage Foundation, P.O. Box 562, Columbia, MO 65205-0562
- Missouri Folklore Society, P.O. Box 1757, Columbia, MO 65205; Ph (573) 449-1757 or (573) 449-0795
- Genealogical Society of Central Missouri, P.O. Box 26, 3801 Ponderosa, Columbia, MO 65205; Phone: (573) 443-8936
- Centralia Historical Society, 319 East Sneed Street, Centralia, MO 65240; Phone: (573) 682-5711
- Mid-Missouri Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 715, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Mid-Missouri Civil War Roundtable, P.O. Box 165, Columbia, MO 65205; Phone: (573) 442-7235
- Northern Cherokee Nation of the Old Louisiana Territory, Columbia, MO 65201; Phone: (573) 443-8424
- Boone County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Boone County
- Boone County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Boone County
- USGenWeb Archives for Boone County
Boone County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Boone County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Boone County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Boone County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county.
- Boone County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 801 E. Walnut St., Columbia, MO 65201
- Boone County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (573) 886-4345
- Marriage Records: 1821 (including Marriage records, 1821-1919; Negro marriages, 1865-1882)
- Land Records: 1821 (including Index to deeds, 1821-1890; Deed records, 1821-1886; )
- Boone County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (573) 886-4295
- Probate Records: 1821 (Index to probate records, 1821-1925; Probate records, 1871-1886; Index to Probate packets; 1821-1853; Will records 1821-1916 )
- Court & Divorce Records: 1821 (including Circuit court records, 1835-1886)
- Boone County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (573) 886-4375
- Birth & Death Records: ?
- Boone County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Boone County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Boone County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Boone County genealogy or family history related sites.
Boone Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Boone Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
- See Also Statewide Newspapers Books & Publications Links for Missouri
- Historical Newspapers from Missouri (1808 - 1922) (genealogybank.com) Rapidly locate names and keywords in over 450 million content articles, obituaries, marriage announcements, birth notices and also other items written and published in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. New content and articles added every month!
- Boone County, Missouri Books (amazon.com)
- Boone County, Missouri Obituaries, 1892-1901 (search.ancestry.com)
- Boone County, Missouri Obituaries, 1871-91 (search.ancestry.com)
- Boone County, Missouri Obituaries, 1902-13 (search.ancestry.com)
- Search Missouri Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Missouri Newspapers (newspaperarchives.com)
Boone Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Boone Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Boone Co. MO Census Records
Boone Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
- See Also Statewide Cemetery Records for Missouri
- Boone County, Missouri, Cemetery Records Vol. 2 (Part 1 & 2), 5, 6, 7, 8 (Part 1 & 2) (search.ancestry.com)
- Boone Co., Missouri Graves (findagrave.com)
- Boone County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Boone Co., Missouri Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for Boone County, Missouri (topozone.com)
- Boone Co., Missouri Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
Boone Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Boone Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Boone Co. MO General and History Websites
Boone Co. MO Military Records
Boone Co. MO Schools & Directories