Audrain County, Missouri
Audrain County was created on December 17, 1836 from Callaway County, Monroe County, Ralls County and part of the Platte Purchase. The county was named in honor of U.S. Senator David Rice Atchison (1807-1886), a Democrat from Missouri .
The Audrain County Seat is situated in Mexico and in addition the county government website is audraincounty.org
Areas surrounding Audrain County include Monroe County (north), Ralls County (northeast), Pike County (east), Montgomery County (southeast), Callaway County (south), Boone County (southwest), Randolph County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Audrain County include Farber, Laddonia, Mexico, Vandalia, Benton City, Martinsburg, Rush Hill, Vandiver.
Townships located inside of Audrain County include Cuivre Township, Linn Township, Loutre Township, Prairie Township, Saling Township, Salt River Township, South Fork Township, Wilson Township.
Audrain County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process./p>
You can search online for Audrain County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Audrain County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Audrain Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Audrain Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Audrain Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Audrain Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Audrain County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Audrain County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Audrain County Historical Society, P.O. Box 398, 501 South Muldrow Street, Mexico, MO 65265; Phone: (573) 581-3910
- Northeast Missouri Genealogical Society, 112 North Fourth Street, Canton, MO 63435; Phone: (217) 656-3853
- Genealogical Society of Central Missouri, P.O. Box 26 3801 Ponderosa , Columbia, MO 65205; Phone: (573) 443-8936
- Audrain County Area Genealogical Society (Mexico-Audrain County Library), 305 West Jackson, Mexico, MO 65265; Phone: (573) 581-4939
- Audrain County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Audrain County
- Audrain County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Audrain County
- USGenWeb Archives for Audrain County
Audrain County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Audrain County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Audrain County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Audrain county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, court records, and so forth.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
- Audrain County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 N. Jefferson St., Mexico, Missouri 65265
- Audrain County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 573-473-5830
- Marriage Records: 1837 (including Index to marriage records, 1837-1975; Marriage records, 1837-1917; Negro/colored marriage records, 1865-1890)
- Land Records: 1837 (including Index to deeds, 1837-1900; Deed records, 1837-1891; Military discharge records, 1865)
- Audrain County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: 573-473-5840
- Probate Records: 1837 (including court records, 1839-1897; Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1875-1897; Inventories, appraisements and sales bills, 1865-1919; Settlement records, 1863-1888; Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1871-1920; index to will records, 1880-1975; Will records, 1838-1925)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1837 ( has Circuit court records, 1837-1888)
- Audrain County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: 573-473-5820
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-86 (has Permanent record of births, 1883-1885; Register of births and still births, 1883-1885; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1885; Register of deaths, 1883-1886; County court records, 1837-1863; County treasurer’s records, 1837-1849; Federal census, 1850; Bond and commission record, 1837-1871; Record of marks and brands, 1843-1971; Wolf scalp receipts, 1843-1854; Estray records, 1837-1851; Assessment records, 1838-1864 and 1876; Tax Books, 1869 )
- Audrain County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Audrain County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Audrain County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Audrain County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Audrain County genealogy or family history related sites.
Audrain Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Audrain Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Audrain Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Missouri
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Audrain County, Missouri Deaths, 1876-1905 (search.ancestry.com)
- Audrain County, Missouri Marriages, 1870-1917 (search.ancestry.com)
- Audrain County, Missouri Obituaries, 1885-1903 (search.ancestry.com)
- Audrain County, Missouri Obituaries, 1930-42 (search.ancestry.com)
- Audrain County, Missouri Obituaries, 1904-16 (search.ancestry.com)
- Audrain County, Missouri Obituaries, 1917-29 (search.ancestry.com)
- Audrain County, Missouri Marriage Records, 1836-79 (search.ancestry.com)
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935 (familysearch.org)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Audrain Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Audrain Co. MO Census Records
Audrain Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Audrain Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Audrain Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Audrain Co. MO General and History Websites
Audrain Co. MO Military Records
Audrain Co. MO Schools & Directories