Atchison County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Atchison County, Missouri Facts
When was Atchison County, MO Created?
Atchison County was created on February 14, 1845 from Holt County and the Platte Purchase. The county was named in honor of James H. Audrain, a War of 1812 colonel Missouri State Legislator .
What is the County Seat of Atchison County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Rock Port and in addition the county government website is www.atchisoncounty.org
What counties are adjacent to Atchison County, MO?
Bordering Counties are Fremont County, Iowa (north), Page County, Iowa (northeast), Nodaway County (east), Holt County (south), Richardson County, Nebraska (southwest), Nemaha County, Nebraska (west), Otoe County, Nebraska (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Atchison County, MO?
Cities and towns located in the County include Fairfax, Rock Port, Tarkio, Westboro, Watson.
What Townships are in Atchison County, MO?
Townships located in the County include Benton Township, Buchanan Township, Clark Township, Clay Township, Colfax Township, Dale Township, Lincoln Township, Nishnabotna Township, Polk Township, Tarkio Township, Templeton Township.
Atchison County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Atchison County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Atchison County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Atchison County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Atchison County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Missouri Birth & Death Records Database Pre-1910: Search & Record Availability
- Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935
- Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002
- Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920
- Missouri Marriages, 1851-1900
- Missouri Marriages, 1766-1983
- Missouri Marriages to 1850
- Missouri Marriages Before 1840
- Missouri Death Records Database, Pre-1910
- Missouri Death Certificates, 1910 – 1961
- Missouri, Deaths and Burials Index, 1873-1976
- Missouri Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976
- Missouri, Death Records, 1834-1910
- Missouri Still Birth & Miscellaneous Records, 1805-2002
Atchison County, MO Census Records
What Atchison County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Atchison County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Atchison Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Atchison Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Atchison Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Atchison Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Atchison County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
Atchison County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Atchison County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Atchison County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Missouri Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Atchison County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 400 S. Washington St., Rock Port, MO 64482
- Atchison County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 660.744.2707
- Marriage Records: 1845
- Land Records: 1845
- Atchison County Circuit Court / Clerk Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: 660.744.2700
- Probate Records: 1845
- Court & Divorce Records: 1845
- Atchison County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: 660.744.6214
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-93
- Atchison County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 - 1969
- BLM Land Records
Atchison County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Atchison County, MO?
A list of Atchison County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Atchison County Historical Society, 210 South Main Street, Rock Port, MO 64482; Phone: (660) 744-5800
- Atchison County and Tarkio College Alumni Historical Museum, 402 Main Street, Tarkio, MO 64491; Phone: (660) 736-5530
- Northwest Missouri Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 382, St. Joseph, MO 64502; Phone: (816) 233-0524
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Atchison County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Atchison County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Atchison County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Atchison Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Atchison Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Atchison Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Atchison Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Atchison Co. MO General and History Websites
Atchison Co. MO Military Records
Atchison Co. MO Schools & Directories