Atchison County, Missouri
Atchison County was created on February 14, 1845 from Holt County and the Platte Purchase. The county was named in honor of James H. Audrain, a War of 1812 colonel Missouri State Legislator .
The Atchison County Seat is situated in Rock Port and in addition the county government website is www.atchisoncounty.org
Areas surrounding Atchison County include Fremont County, Iowa (north), Page County, Iowa (northeast), Nodaway County (east), Holt County (south), Richardson County, Nebraska (southwest), Nemaha County, Nebraska (west), Otoe County, Nebraska (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Atchison County include Fairfax, Rock Port, Tarkio, Westboro, Watson.
Townships located inside of Atchison County include Benton Township, Buchanan Township, Clark Township, Clay Township, Colfax Township, Dale Township, Lincoln Township, Nishnabotna Township, Polk Township, Tarkio Township, Templeton Township.
Atchison County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process./p>
You can search online for Atchison County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Atchison County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Atchison Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Atchison Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Atchison Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Atchison Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Atchison County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Atchison County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri (raogk.org)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Atchison County Historical Society, 210 South Main Street, Rock Port, MO 64482; Phone: (660) 744-5800
- Atchison County and Tarkio College Alumni Historical Museum, 402 Main Street, Tarkio, MO 64491; Phone: (660) 736-5530
- Northwest Missouri Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 382, St. Joseph, MO 64502; Phone: (816) 233-0524
- Atchison County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Atchison County
- Atchison County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Atchison County
- USGenWeb Archives for Atchison County
Atchison County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Atchison County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Atchison County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Atchison County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
- Atchison County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 400 S. Washington St., Rock Port, MO 64482
- Atchison County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: 660.744.2707
- Marriage Records: 1845
- Land Records: 1845
- Atchison County Circuit Court / Clerk Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: 660.744.2700
- Probate Records: 1845
- Court & Divorce Records: 1845
- Atchison County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: 660.744.6214
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-93
- Atchison County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Atchison County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Atchison County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Atchison County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Atchison County genealogy or family history related sites.
Atchison Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Atchison Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Atchison Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Atchison Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Atchison Co. MO Census Records
Atchison Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Atchison Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Atchison Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Atchison Co. MO General and History Websites
Atchison Co. MO Military Records
Atchison Co. MO Schools & Directories