Adair County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Adair County, Missouri Facts
When was Adair County, MO Created?
Adair County was created on January 29, 1841 from Macon County. The county was named in honor of John Adair (1757-1840), pioneer, soldier, and seventh Governor of Kentucky.
What is the County Seat of Adair County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Kirksville and in addition the county government website is unknown
What counties are adjacent to Adair County, MO?
Bordering Counties are Putnam County (northwest), Schuyler County (north), Scotland County (northeast), Knox County (east), Macon County (south), Linn County (southwest), Sullivan County (west).
What cities and towns are in Adair County, MO?
Cities and towns located in the County include Brashear, Greentop, Kirksville, Novinger.
What Townships are in Adair County, MO?
Townships located in the County include Benton Township, Clay Township, Liberty Township, Morrow Township, Nineveh Township, Pettis Township, Polk Township, Salt River Township, Walnut Township, Wilson Township.
Adair County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Adair County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Adair County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Adair County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Adair County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Missouri Birth & Death Records Database Pre-1910: Search & Record Availability
- Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935
- Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002
- Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920
- Missouri Marriages, 1851-1900
- Missouri Marriages, 1766-1983
- Missouri Marriages to 1850
- Missouri Marriages Before 1840
- Missouri Death Records Database, Pre-1910
- Missouri Death Certificates, 1910 – 1961
- Missouri, Deaths and Burials Index, 1873-1976
- Missouri Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976
- Missouri, Death Records, 1834-1910
- Missouri Still Birth & Miscellaneous Records, 1805-2002
Adair County, MO Census Records
What Adair County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adair County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Adair Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Adair Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Adair Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Adair Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Adair County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
Adair County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Adair County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Adair County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Missouri Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Fire destroyed this Courthouse in February 1866. No records loss
- Adair County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 106 W Washington, Kirksville, MO 63501
- Adair County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (660) 665-3890
- Marriage Records: 1841 (including Index to Marriage records,1841-1886; Marriage records,1841-1916; Military discharge records,1866-1890)
- Land Records: 1841 (including Index to deeds,1841-1887; Deed Records,1841-1883; Warranty Deeds,1871-1886; QuitClaim deeds,1871-1888; Sherriff's Deeds,1879-1888)
- Adair County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (660) 665-2552
- Probate Records: 1841 (including Index to Probate records,1841-1908; Probate Records,1841-1897; Administrators/Executors letters, bonds and records, 1857-1868; Settlement Records,1857-1908 ;Guardians/Curators records,1885-1887; Will Records, 1857-1918 )
- Court Records: 1841 (including Circuit court records, 1841-1904; Circuit court records,1841-1886)
- Divorce Records: 1841
- Adair County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (660) 665-3350
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-93 (including )
- Adair County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 - 1969
- BLM Land Records
Adair County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Adair County, MO?
A list of Adair County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Adair County Public Library, One Library Lane, Kirksville, MO 63501-2550; Phone(660) 665-6038
- Adair County Historical Society, 211 S. Elson, Kirksville, Mo 63501-3466
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Adair County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Adair County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Adair County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Adair Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Adair Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Adair Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Adair Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Adair Co. MO General and History Websites
Adair Co. MO Military Records
Adair Co. MO Schools & Directories