Hinds County, Mississippi
Hinds County, Mississippi ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you locate your own Hinds Co., ancestors. Start now by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Hinds County was established on February 12, 1821 from Un-Organized Land (Choctaw Cession of 1820). Currently the county was named in honor of Thomas Hinds, War of 1812 general .
The Hinds County Seat can be found in Jackson and Raymond additionally, the county government website is www.co.hinds.ms.us
Regions neighboring Hinds County include Madison County (northeast), Rankin County (east), Copiah County (south), Claiborne County (southwest), Warren County (west) and Yazoo County (northwest).
Cities and towns found in Hinds County consist of Clinton, Jackson , Raymond, Byram, Bolton, Edwards, Learned, Terry, Utica.
Hinds County vital records can be found at the Mississippi Department of Health which has copies of birth and death records after 1912, Marriage and a Divorce records since 1926. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Mississippi for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Hinds County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Mississippi Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Hinds County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Hinds Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Hinds Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hinds Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hinds Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You will discover free down loadable and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Hinds County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Hinds County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Mississippi (raogk.org)
- Mississippi Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Mississippi State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Mississippi Department of Archives and History, North Street, Jackson, MS 39201; Ph. (601) 576-6850,200
- Mississippi Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 5301, Jackson, MS 39216
- Mississippi Historical Society, PO Box 571, Jackson, MS 39205-0571
- Mississippi Society of the Sons of the American Revolution, 12 Avery Circle, Jackson, MS 39211
- Family Research Association of Mississippi, P.O. Box 13334, Jackson, MS 39236-3334
- Clinton Genealogical & Historical Society, John Noel, 709 Tanglewood Drive, Clinton, MS 39056, Phone: 601-924-5544
- Utica Heritage Society, Inc., Mary Collins Landin, P. O. Box 129, Utica, MS 39175; Phone: 601-885-8683
- Hinds County, Mississippi Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hinds County
- Hinds County, Mississippi Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Hinds County
- USGenWeb Archives for Hinds County (usgwarchives.net)
Hinds County Courthouse and Government Records
Hinds County Courthouse
Genealogist frequently forget about the benefits of Hinds County court, probate, and land files as a source of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Mississippi courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many Mississippi people.
The odds are very good that your ancestors have left a comprehensive document of at least some factors of their lives in the Hinds County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
The below specifics denotes whatever birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Hinds County. The dates suggested listed below are the first widely known documents with this county.
Please speak to the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most employees will assist people in locating the materials, but it is up to the particular person to undertake the researching.
- Hinds County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 407 E Pascagoula St, Jackson, MS 39201
- Raymond Courthouse has records from 1821, land grant, will, deed, marriage, and on and on. It dates from 1821.
- Jackson Courthouse was built in 1930 and it only has limited information that is of early historical significance for Hinds County. Jackson is now called the 1st judicial district, and Raymond is now called the 2nd judicial district. Marriages at Raymond actually date from 1815, even though Hinds County was not formed until 1821 after the Choctaw Sessionof 1820.
- Hinds County Chancery Court Clerk record all documents (warranty deeds, deed of trusts, military discharges, etc) to be in Public Land Records and create and maintain indexes for the documents filed in the land records, such as sectional indexes, direct/reverse indexes, etc. Maintain the Court dockets and file all records of the Court. Record and preserve court minute books. Submit divorce and other statistics to the Mississippi Department of Vital Records
- Phone: 601.968.6508
- Land Records: Raymond 1821/ Jackson 1930
- Probate Records: Raymond 1823/ Jackson 1930
- Divorce Records: see Clerk
- Hinds County Clerk of Circuit Court include Receiving and fileing all law suits, indictments, motions and other related papers in all Civil and Criminal Cases filed in the Circuit or County Courts. Keeps a record of all Judgments and Executions, Issues marriage licenses and keeps records of marriages.
- Phone: (601) 968-6628
- Marriage Records: Raymond 1815/ Jackson 1930
- Court Records: Raymond 1821/ Jackson 1930 Court records index and partial records begin in 1854 with fragments earlier.
- Hinds County Tax Assessor / Collector maintain original tax records, both real and personal.
- Hinds County Health Department has birth and death records from November 1, 1912. You may go to any county health department in the State of Mississippi to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Hinds County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Hinds County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is basically a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Hinds County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Hinds Co. MS Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hinds Co. MS Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Hinds Co. MS Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hinds Co. MS Census Records
Hinds Co. MS Cemeteries & Graveyards
Hinds Co. MS Church & Bible Records
Hinds Co. MS Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hinds Co. MS General and History Websites
Hinds Co. MS Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hinds Co. MS Military Records