Wexford County, Michigan
Genealogy and Facts
Wexford County, Michigan ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you trace your Wexford Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by creating a Free Family Tree.
Wexford County was founded on April 1, 1840 (Organized on March 30, 1869) from Mackinac County (originally named Kautawaubet County until March 8, 1843). This county was named for County Wexford, Ireland.
The Wexford County Seat is located in Cadillac also, the county government website is www.wexfordcounty.org/.
Counties bordering Wexford County Grand Traverse County (north), Missaukee County (east), Osceola County (southeast), Lake County (southwest), Manistee County (west).
Incorporated Cities & Villages located in Wexford County include Cadillac, Manton, Buckley, Harrietta, Mesick.
Townships located in Wexford County include Antioch, Boon, Cedar Creek, Cherry Grove, Clam Lake, Colfax, Greenwood, Hanover, Haring, Henderson, Liberty, Selma, Slagle, South Branch, Springville, Wexford.
Wexford County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Wexford Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wexford Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wexford Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Wexford County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Wexford County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Michigan State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Cadillac Area Genealogical Society, 8499 So. 27 1/2 Mile Rd., Cadillac 49601
- Manton Area Historical Society, P.O. Box 86, Manton 49663
- Wexford Genealogy Organization, P.O. Box 226, Cadillac MI 49601
- Wexford County Historical Society, 127 Beech Street, Cadillac, MI 49601; (231) 775-1717
- Wexford County Michigan Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Wexford County
- Wexford County, Michigan Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Wexford County
- USGenWeb Archives for Wexford County (usgwarchives.net)
Wexford County Courthouse and Government Records
Wexford County Courthouse
Genealogist often overlook the importance of Wexford County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Michigan courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the hopes and dreams and worries of countless Michigan citizens.
The chances are very good that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least several elements of their lives in the Wexford County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following specifics indicates exactly what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are in Wexford County. The dates pointed out below are considered the first known records with this county.
Some early records prior to organization on March 30, 1869 may be located in Mackinac County, Grand Traverse County and Manistee County
You need to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will guide persons in locating the resources, but it's up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
- Wexford County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 437 East Division Street, Cadillac, MI 49601
- Wexford County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Wexford County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 231-779-9450
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1864
- Wexford County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (231) 779-9455
- Land Records: 1869
- Wexford County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: (231) 779-9510
- Probate Records: 1869
- Wexford County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (231) 779-9515
- Court Records: 1869
- Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michiganfor current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Wexford County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources related to Wexford County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Wexford County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Wexford Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Wexford Co. MI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Wexford Co. MI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Wexford Co. MI Census Records
Wexford Co. MI Cemeteries & Graveyards
Wexford Co. MI Church & Bible Records
Wexford Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Wexford Co. MI General and History Websites
Wexford Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Wexford Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Wexford Co. MI Military Records
Wexford Co. MI Schools & Directories