Oceana County, Michigan
Genealogy, History & Facts
Oceana County, Michigan Facts
When was Oceana County, MI Created?
Oceana County was created on March 2, 1831 (Organized on April 7, 1851) from Michilimackinac County. This county was named for its bordering Lake Michigan, the fresh water "ocean.".
What is the County Seat of Oceana County, MI?
The County Seat is located in Hart also, the county government website is www.co.oceana.mi.us/.
What counties are adjacent to Oceana County, MI?
Bordering Counties are Mason County (north), Newaygo County (east), Muskegon County (south).
What cities and towns are in Oceana County, MI?
Cities and towns located in the County include Hart, Hesperia, New Era, Pentwater, Rothbury, Shelby, Walkerville.
What Townships are in Oceana County, MI?
Townships located in the County include Benona, Claybanks, Colfax, Crystal, Elbridge, Ferry, Golden, Grant, Greenwood, Hart, Leavitt, Newfield, Otto, Pentwater, Shelby, Weare.
Oceana County, MI Vital Records
Where can find Oceana County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Oceana County vital records can be found at the Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michigan for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Oceana County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Michigan Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Michigan Marriage Project
- Michigan vital records from the Michigan Christian herald
- Michigan Births and Christenings, 1775-1995
- Michigan Births and Christenings Index, 1867-1911
- Michigan Births, 1867-1902
- Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
- Michigan Marriage Records, 1867-1952
- Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1935
- Michigan Marriages to 1850
- Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995
- Michigan Marriages, 1851-1875
- Michigan Divorce Records, 1897-1952
- Michigan Deaths and Burials Index, 1867-1995
- Michigan Deaths and Burials 1800-1995
- Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996
- Michigan Death Records, 1897-1920
- Michigan Death Certificates, 1921-1952
- Michigan Death Index, 1971-1996
- Michigan Deaths, 1867-1897
Oceana County, MI Census Records
What Oceana County, MI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Oceana County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Oceana Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Oceana Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Oceana Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Michigan Census Records Research Guide
Oceana County, MI Courthouse and Government Records
Oceana County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Oceana County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Oceana County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Michigan Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Some early records prior to organization on April 7, 1851 may be located in Kent County and Otawwa County
- Oceana County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 State Street, Hart, MI 49420
- Oceana County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Oceana County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 231-873-4328
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1867
- Oceana County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (231) 873-4158
- Land Records: 1846
- Oceana County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: (231) 873-3666
- Probate Records: 1900
- Oceana County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (231) 873-3977
- Court Records: 1859
- Michigan Land Records
- Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973
- BLM Land Records
Oceana County, MI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Oceana County, MI?
A list of Oceana County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Michigan Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Oceana County Historical and Genealogical Society 114 Dryden St Hart MI 49420; Phone 231-873-2600
- State Archives of Michigan, 702 W Kalamazoo Str, P.O. Box 30738, Lansing, MI 48909-8238; (517) 373-1408
- Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St, Lansing, MI 48909
- Historical Society of Michigan, 1305 Abbott Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823; (517) 324-1828
Where can I connect with other Oceana County, MI Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Oceana County, MI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Oceana County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Oceana Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Oceana Co. MI Cemeteries & Church Records
Oceana Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Oceana Co. MI General and History Websites
Oceana Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Oceana Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Oceana Co. MI Military Records