Montcalm County, Michigan
Genealogy and Facts
Montcalm County, Michigan ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you trace your Montcalm Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by creating a Free Family Tree.
Montcalm County was founded on March 2, 1831 (Organized on March 20, 1850) from Michilimackinac County and unorganized territory . This county was named for the Marquis de Montcalm, a French military commander in Quebec.
The Montcalm County Seat is located in Stanton also, the county government website is www.montcalm.org.
Counties bordering Montcalm County Isabella County (northeast), Mecosta County (north), Gratiot County (east), Newaygo County (west), Ionia County (south), Kent County (southwest).
Incorporated Cities & Villages located in Montcalm County include Carson City, Greenville, Stanton, Edmore, Howard City, Lakeview, McBride, Pierson, Sheridan.
Townships located in Montcalm County include Belvidere, Bloomer, Bushnell, Cato, Crystal, Day, Douglass, Eureka, Evergreen, Fairplain, Ferris, Home, Maple Valley, Montcalm, Pierson, Pine, Reynolds, Richland, Sidney, Winfield.
Montcalm County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Montcalm Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Montcalm Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Montcalm Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Montcalm County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Montcalm County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Michigan State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Flat River Genealogical Society of Greenville 506 W. Grant Street Greenville Michigan 48838
- Flat River Historical Society, 213 North Franklin Street, Greenville, MI 48838; (616) 754-5296
- Belding Area Historical Society 108 Hanover Belding Michigan 48809; (616) 794-2210
- Oakfield Pioneer Heritage Society & Museum 11009 Podunk Road Greenville Michigan 48838; (616) 754-1970
- N. Sidney Church & Cemetery Historical Association P.O. Box 202 Sidney Michigan 48885-0202; email; email@example.com
- Ionia County Historical Society, Blanchard House 251 E. Main, Ionia ,Michigan 48846; (616) 527-6281
- Ionia County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 516, Lake Odessa, Michigan 48849-0516; (616) 374-8455
- Western Michigan Genealogical Society, c/o Grand Rapids Public Library, 111 Library Street NE, Grand Rapids, MI, 49503-3268
- Montcalm County Michigan Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Montcalm County
- Montcalm County, Michigan Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Montcalm County
- USGenWeb Archives for Montcalm County (usgwarchives.net)
Montcalm County Courthouse and Government Records
Montcalm County Courthouse
Genealogist often overlook the importance of Montcalm County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Michigan courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the hopes and dreams and worries of countless Michigan citizens.
The chances are very good that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least several elements of their lives in the Montcalm County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following specifics indicates exactly what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are in Montcalm County. The dates pointed out below are considered the first known records with this county.
Some early records prior to organization on March 20, 1850 may be located in Ionia County
You need to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will guide persons in locating the resources, but it's up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
- Montcalm County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 211 W. Main Street, Stanton, MI 48888
- Montcalm County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Montcalm County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 989-831-7339
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1867
- Montcalm County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (989) 831-5226, ext. 237
- Land Records: 1838
- Montcalm County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: 989.831.7316
- Probate Records: 1855
- Montcalm County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (989) 831-3520
- Court Records: 1860?
- Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michiganfor current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Montcalm County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources related to Montcalm County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Montcalm County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Montcalm Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Montcalm Co. MI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Montcalm Co. MI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Montcalm Co. MI Census Records
Montcalm Co. MI Cemeteries & Graveyards
Montcalm Co. MI Church & Bible Records
Montcalm Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Montcalm Co. MI General and History Websites
Montcalm Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Montcalm Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Montcalm Co. MI Military Records