Luce County, Michigan
Genealogy, History & Facts
Luce County, Michigan Facts
When was Luce County, MI Created?
Luce County was created on March 1, 1887 from Chippewa County and Mackinac County. This county was named for Michigan Governor Cyrus G. Luce.
What is the County Seat of Luce County, MI?
The County Seat is located in Newberry also, the county government website is www.lucecountymi.org/.
What counties are adjacent to Luce County, MI?
Bordering Counties are Chippewa County (east), Mackinac County (south), Schoolcraft County (southwest), Alger County (west).
What cities and towns are in Luce County, MI?
Cities and towns located in the County include Newberry.
What Townships are in Luce County, MI?
Townships located in the County include Columbus, Lakefield, McMillan, Pentland.
Luce County, MI Vital Records
Where can find Luce County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Luce County vital records can be found at the Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michigan for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Luce County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Michigan Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Michigan Marriage Project
- Michigan vital records from the Michigan Christian herald
- Michigan Births and Christenings, 1775-1995
- Michigan Births and Christenings Index, 1867-1911
- Michigan Births, 1867-1902
- Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
- Michigan Marriage Records, 1867-1952
- Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1935
- Michigan Marriages to 1850
- Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995
- Michigan Marriages, 1851-1875
- Michigan Divorce Records, 1897-1952
- Michigan Deaths and Burials Index, 1867-1995
- Michigan Deaths and Burials 1800-1995
- Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996
- Michigan Death Records, 1897-1920
- Michigan Death Certificates, 1921-1952
- Michigan Death Index, 1971-1996
- Michigan Deaths, 1867-1897
Luce County, MI Census Records
What Luce County, MI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Luce County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Luce Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Michigan Census Records Research Guide
Luce County, MI Courthouse and Government Records
Luce County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Luce County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Luce County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Michigan Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Luce County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 407 W. Harrie St., Newberry, MI 49868
- Luce County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Luce County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 906-293-5521
- Births & Deaths: 1887
- Marriage Records: 1887
- Luce County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (906) 293-5521
- Land Records: 1887
- Luce County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: (906)-293-5601 or (906) 293-5751
- Probate Records: 1888
- Luce County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (906) 293-5521
- Court Records: 1887
- Michigan Land Records
- Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973
- BLM Land Records
Luce County, MI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Luce County, MI?
A list of Luce County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Michigan Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Luce-Mackinac Genealogical Society P.O. Box 113 Engadine MI 49827-0113
- Luce County Historical Museum 411 West Harrie Street P.O. Box 41 Newberry Michigan 49869; Phone: (906) 293-5709
- State Archives of Michigan, 702 W Kalamazoo Str, P.O. Box 30738, Lansing, MI 48909-8238; (517) 373-1408
- Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St, Lansing, MI 48909
- Historical Society of Michigan, 1305 Abbott Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823; (517) 324-1828
Where can I connect with other Luce County, MI Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Luce County, MI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Luce County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Luce Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Luce Co. MI Cemeteries & Church Records
Luce Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Luce Co. MI General and History Websites
Luce Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Luce Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Luce Co. MI Military Records