Luce County, Michigan
Genealogy and Facts
Luce County, Michigan ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you trace your Luce Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by creating a Free Family Tree.
Luce County was founded on March 1, 1887 from Chippewa County and Mackinac County. This county was named for Michigan Governor Cyrus G. Luce.
The Luce County Seat is located in Newberry also, the county government website is www.lucecountymi.org/.
Counties bordering Luce County Chippewa County (east), Mackinac County (south), Schoolcraft County (southwest), Alger County (west).
Incorporated Cities & Villages located in Luce County include Newberry.
Townships located in Luce County include Columbus, Lakefield, McMillan, Pentland.
Luce County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Luce Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Luce County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Luce County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Luce County Courthouse and Government Records
Luce County Courthouse
Genealogist often overlook the importance of Luce County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Michigan courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the hopes and dreams and worries of countless Michigan citizens.
The chances are very good that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least several elements of their lives in the Luce County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following specifics indicates exactly what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are in Luce County. The dates pointed out below are considered the first known records with this county.
You need to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will guide persons in locating the resources, but it's up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
- Luce County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 407 W. Harrie St., Newberry, MI 49868
- Luce County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Luce County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 906-293-5521
- Births & Deaths: 1887
- Marriage Records: 1887
- Luce County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (906) 293-5521
- Land Records: 1887
- Luce County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: (906)-293-5601 or (906) 293-5751
- Probate Records: 1888
- Luce County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (906) 293-5521
- Court Records: 1887
- Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michiganfor current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Luce County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources related to Luce County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Luce County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Luce Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Luce Co. MI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Luce Co. MI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Luce Co. MI Census Records
Luce Co. MI Cemeteries & Graveyards
Luce Co. MI Church & Bible Records
Luce Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Luce Co. MI General and History Websites
Luce Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Luce Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Luce Co. MI Military Records