Isabella County, Michigan
Genealogy and Facts
Isabella County, Michigan ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you trace your Isabella Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by creating a Free Family Tree.
Isabella County was founded on March 2, 1831 (Organized on February 11, 1859) from Michilimackinac County and unorganized territory. This county was named for Queen Isabella I (1451-1504) of Spain, under whose patronage Columbus undertook his voyages. .
The Isabella County Seat is located in Mt. Pleasant also, the county government website is www.isabellacounty.org.
Counties bordering Isabella County Clare County (north), Midland County (east), Gratiot County (southeast), Montcalm County (southwest), Mecosta County (west).
Incorporated Cities & Villages located in Isabella County include Clare, Mount Pleasant, Rosebush, Shepherd, Lake Isabella.
Townships located in Isabella County include Broomfield, Chippewa, Coe, Coldwater, Deerfield, Denver, Fremont, Gilmore, Isabella, Lincoln, Nottawa, Rolland, Sherman, Union Charter, Vernon, Wise.
Isabella County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Isabella Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Isabella Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Isabella Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Isabella County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Isabella County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Michigan State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Isabella County Genealogical Society, Century House, 522 N. Fancher, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858
- Mt. Pleasant Area Historical Society, P.O. Box 107, Mt. Pleasant, Michigan 48804-0107; Phone: 989-854-2509
- Shepherd Area Historical Society, P.O. Box 505 Shepherd MI 48883
- Shepherd Area Genealogical Society, 7859 E. Walton Rd., Shepherd 48883
- Isabella County Michigan Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Isabella County
- Isabella County, Michigan Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Isabella County
- USGenWeb Archives for Isabella County (usgwarchives.net)
Isabella County Courthouse and Government Records
Isabella County Courthouse
Genealogist often overlook the importance of Isabella County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Michigan courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the hopes and dreams and worries of countless Michigan citizens.
The chances are very good that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least several elements of their lives in the Isabella County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following specifics indicates exactly what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are in Isabella County. The dates pointed out below are considered the first known records with this county.
Some early records prior to organization on February 11, 1859 may be located in Saginaw County, Ionia County and Midland County
You need to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will guide persons in locating the resources, but it's up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
- Isabella County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 200 North Main Street, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858
- Isabella County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Isabella County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 989-772-0911
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1859
- Isabella County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (989) 772-0911, ext 251
- Land Records: 1838
- Isabella County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: (989) 772-0911 ext. 316
- Probate Records: 1859
- Isabella County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (989) 772-0911
- Court Records: 1880
- Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michiganfor current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Isabella County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources related to Isabella County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Isabella County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Isabella Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Isabella Co. MI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Isabella Co. MI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Isabella Co. MI Census Records
Isabella Co. MI Cemeteries & Graveyards
Isabella Co. MI Church & Bible Records
Isabella Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Isabella Co. MI General and History Websites
Isabella Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Isabella Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Isabella Co. MI Military Records