Grand Traverse County, Michigan
Genealogy, History & Facts
Grand Traverse County, Michigan Facts
When was Grand Traverse County, MI Created?
Grand Traverse County was created on April 7, 1851 from Omeena County. This county was named for the French phrase "grande travers," which means "long crossing." It was given first to Grand Traverse Bay by French voyageurs. .
What is the County Seat of Grand Traverse County, MI?
The County Seat is located in Traverse City also, the county government website is www.co.grand-traverse.mi.us/.
What counties are adjacent to Grand Traverse County, MI?
Bordering Counties are Antrim County (northeast), Kalkaska County (east), Wexford County (south), Benzie County (west), Leelanau County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Grand Traverse County, MI?
Cities and towns located in the County include Traverse City, Fife Lake, Kingsley.
What Townships are in Grand Traverse County, MI?
Townships located in the County include Acme, Blair, East Bay Charter, Fife Lake, Garfield Charter, Grant, Green Lake, Long Lake, Mayfield, Paradise, Peninsula, Union, Whitewater.
Grand Traverse County, MI Vital Records
Where can find Grand Traverse County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Grand Traverse County vital records can be found at the Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michigan for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Grand Traverse County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Michigan Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- Web: Grand Traverse County, Michigan, Marriage Index, 1853-2003
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Michigan Marriage Project
- Michigan vital records from the Michigan Christian herald
- Michigan Births and Christenings, 1775-1995
- Michigan Births and Christenings Index, 1867-1911
- Michigan Births, 1867-1902
- Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
- Michigan Marriage Records, 1867-1952
- Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1935
- Michigan Marriages to 1850
- Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995
- Michigan Marriages, 1851-1875
- Michigan Divorce Records, 1897-1952
- Michigan Deaths and Burials Index, 1867-1995
- Michigan Deaths and Burials 1800-1995
- Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996
- Michigan Death Records, 1897-1920
- Michigan Death Certificates, 1921-1952
- Michigan Death Index, 1971-1996
- Michigan Deaths, 1867-1897
Grand Traverse County, MI Census Records
What Grand Traverse County, MI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Grand Traverse County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Grand Traverse Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Grand Traverse Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Grand Traverse Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Michigan Census Records Research Guide
Grand Traverse County, MI Courthouse and Government Records
Grand Traverse County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Grand Traverse County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Grand Traverse County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Michigan Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Grand Traverse County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 400 Boardman Avenue, Traverse City, MI 49684
- Grand Traverse County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Grand Traverse County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 231-922-4760
- Births & Deaths: 1856
- Marriage Records: 1853
- Grand Traverse County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (231)922-4753
- Land Records: 1853
- Grand Traverse County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: (231) 922-6862
- Probate Records: 1875
- Grand Traverse County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (231) 922-4710
- Court Records: 1882
- Michigan Land Records
- Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973
- BLM Land Records
Grand Traverse County, MI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Grand Traverse County, MI?
A list of Grand Traverse County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Michigan Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Fife Lake Historical Society Merritt St. P. O. Box 305 Fife Lake MI 49633
- Grand Traverse Area Genealogical Society P.O. Box 2015 Traverse City MI 49685-2015
- Grand Traverse Heritage Center 322 Sixth Street - Traverse City MI 49684 • Phone: (231)995-0313 - Fax: (231) 946-6750
- Traverse Area District Library; On-line search of Grand Traverse County Records made available to the public by the in cooperation with the Grand Traverse County Clerk's Office
- State Archives of Michigan, 702 W Kalamazoo Str, P.O. Box 30738, Lansing, MI 48909-8238; (517) 373-1408
- Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St, Lansing, MI 48909
- Historical Society of Michigan, 1305 Abbott Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823; (517) 324-1828
Where can I connect with other Grand Traverse County, MI Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Grand Traverse County, MI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Grand Traverse County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Grand Traverse Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Grand Traverse Co. MI Cemeteries & Church Records
Grand Traverse Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Grand Traverse Co. MI General and History Websites
Grand Traverse Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Grand Traverse Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Grand Traverse Co. MI Military Records