Dickinson County, Michigan
Genealogy and Facts
Dickinson County, Michigan ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you trace your Dickinson Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by creating a Free Family Tree.
Dickinson County was founded on May 21, 1891 (Organized on May 21, 1891) from Iron County, Marquette County and Menominee County. This county was named for Donald M. Dickinson (1846-1917): Postmaster General in the Cleveland Administration.
The Dickinson County Seat is located in Iron Mountain also, the county government website is www.dickinsoncountymi.gov/.
Counties bordering Dickinson County Marquette County (north), Menominee County (southeast) Marinette County, Wisconsin (south), Florence County, Wisconsin (southwest), Iron County (west).
Incorporated Cities & Villages located in Dickinson County include Iron Mountain, Kingsford, Norway.
Townships located in Dickinson County include Breen, Breitung, Felch, Norway, Sagola, Waucedah, West Branch.
Dickinson County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Dickinson County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Dickinson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Dickinson County Courthouse and Government Records
Dickinson County Courthouse
Genealogist often overlook the importance of Dickinson County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Michigan courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the hopes and dreams and worries of countless Michigan citizens.
The chances are very good that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least several elements of their lives in the Dickinson County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
The following specifics indicates exactly what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are in Dickinson County. The dates pointed out below are considered the first known records with this county.
You need to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will guide persons in locating the resources, but it's up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
- Dickinson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 705 South Stephenson Avenue, Iron Mountain, MI 49801
- Dickinson County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Dickinson County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 906-774-0988
- Births & Deaths: 1891
- Marriage Records: 1891
- Dickinson County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (906) 774-0955
- Land Records: 1891
- Dickinson County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: (906) 774-1555
- Probate Records: 1891
- Dickinson County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (906) 774-2266
- Court Records: 1891
- Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michiganfor current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Dickinson County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources related to Dickinson County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Dickinson County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Dickinson Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Dickinson Co. MI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Dickinson Co. MI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Dickinson Co. MI Census Records
Dickinson Co. MI Cemeteries & Graveyards
Dickinson Co. MI Church & Bible Records
Dickinson Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Dickinson Co. MI General and History Websites
Dickinson Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Dickinson Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Dickinson Co. MI Military Records