Delta County, Michigan
Genealogy, History & Facts
Delta County, Michigan Facts
When was Delta County, MI Created?
Delta County was created on March 9, 1843 (Organized on March 12, 1861) from Mackinac County and unorganized territory . This county was named for the Greek letter Delta, it refers to the triangular shape of the original county which included segments of Menominee, Dickinson, Iron and Marquette counties .
What is the County Seat of Delta County, MI?
The County Seat is located in Escanaba also, the county government website is www.deltacountymi.org/.
What counties are adjacent to Delta County, MI?
Bordering Counties are Alger County, Marquette County, Menominee County, Schoolcraft County.
What cities and towns are in Delta County, MI?
Cities and towns located in the County include Escanaba, Gladstone, Garden.
What Townships are in Delta County, MI?
Townships located in the County include Baldwin, Bark River, Bay de Noc, Brampton, Cornell, Ensign, Escanaba, Fairbanks, Ford River, Garden, Maple Ridge, Masonville, Nahma, Wells.
Delta County, MI Vital Records
Where can find Delta County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Delta County vital records can be found at the Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michigan for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Delta County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Michigan Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Michigan Marriage Project
- Michigan vital records from the Michigan Christian herald
- Michigan Births and Christenings, 1775-1995
- Michigan Births and Christenings Index, 1867-1911
- Michigan Births, 1867-1902
- Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
- Michigan Marriage Records, 1867-1952
- Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1935
- Michigan Marriages to 1850
- Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995
- Michigan Marriages, 1851-1875
- Michigan Divorce Records, 1897-1952
- Michigan Deaths and Burials Index, 1867-1995
- Michigan Deaths and Burials 1800-1995
- Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996
- Michigan Death Records, 1897-1920
- Michigan Death Certificates, 1921-1952
- Michigan Death Index, 1971-1996
- Michigan Deaths, 1867-1897
Delta County, MI Census Records
What Delta County, MI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Delta County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Delta Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Delta Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Delta Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Michigan Census Records Research Guide
Delta County, MI Courthouse and Government Records
Delta County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Delta County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Delta County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Michigan Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Some early records prior to organization on March 12, 1861 may be located in Mackinac County
- Delta County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 310 Ludington Street, Escanaba, MI 49829
- Delta County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Delta County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: (906) 789-5105
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1867
- Delta County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (906) 789-5116
- Land Records: 1843
- Delta County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: (906) 789-5114
- Probate Records: 1843
- Delta County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (906) 789-5103
- Court Records: 1869
- Michigan Land Records
- Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973
- BLM Land Records
Delta County, MI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Delta County, MI?
A list of Delta County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Michigan Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Delta County Genealogical Society 312 North 20th St. Escanaba 49829
- Delta County Historical Society 16 Water Plant Road Escanaba MI 49829; (906) 789-6790
- Garden Peninsula Historical Society State St. M-183 Garden MI 49835
- State Archives of Michigan, 702 W Kalamazoo Str, P.O. Box 30738, Lansing, MI 48909-8238; (517) 373-1408
- Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St, Lansing, MI 48909
- Historical Society of Michigan, 1305 Abbott Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823; (517) 324-1828
Where can I connect with other Delta County, MI Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Delta County, MI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Delta County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Delta Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Delta Co. MI Cemeteries & Church Records
Delta Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Delta Co. MI General and History Websites
Delta Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Delta Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Delta Co. MI Military Records