Allegan County, Michigan
Genealogy, History & Facts
Allegan County, Michigan Facts
When was Allegan County, MI Created?
Allegan County was created on March 2 1831 (Organized on Septembert 7 1835) from Barry County and unorganized territory . This county was named for Pseudo-Native American name created by Henry Schoolcraft.
What is the County Seat of Allegan County, MI?
The County Seat is located in Allegan also, the county government website is www.allegancounty.org/.
What counties are adjacent to Allegan County, MI?
Bordering Counties are Ottawa County (north), Kent County (northeast), Barry County (east), Kalamazoo County (southeast), Van Buren County (south).
What cities and towns are in Allegan County, MI?
Cities and towns located in the County include Allegan, Douglas, Fennville, Holland, Otsego, Plainwell, Saugatuck, South Haven, Wayland, Hopkins, Martin.
What Townships are in Allegan County, MI?
Townships located in the County include Allegan, Casco, Cheshire, Clyde, Dorr, Fillmore, Ganges, Gun Plain Charter, Heath, Hopkins, Laketown, Lee, Leighton, Manlius, Martin, Monterey, Otsego, Overisel, Salem, Saugatuck, Trowbridge, Valley, Watson, Wayland.
Allegan County, MI Vital Records
Where can find Allegan County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Allegan County vital records can be found at the Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michigan for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Allegan County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Michigan Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Michigan Marriage Project
- Michigan vital records from the Michigan Christian herald
- Michigan Births and Christenings, 1775-1995
- Michigan Births and Christenings Index, 1867-1911
- Michigan Births, 1867-1902
- Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
- Michigan Marriage Records, 1867-1952
- Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1935
- Michigan Marriages to 1850
- Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995
- Michigan Marriages, 1851-1875
- Michigan Divorce Records, 1897-1952
- Michigan Deaths and Burials Index, 1867-1995
- Michigan Deaths and Burials 1800-1995
- Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996
- Michigan Death Records, 1897-1920
- Michigan Death Certificates, 1921-1952
- Michigan Death Index, 1971-1996
- Michigan Deaths, 1867-1897
Allegan County, MI Census Records
What Allegan County, MI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Allegan County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Allegan Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Allegan Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Allegan Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Michigan Census Records Research Guide
Allegan County, MI Courthouse and Government Records
Allegan County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Allegan County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Allegan County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Michigan Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Allegan County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 113 Chestnut Street Allegan MI 49010
- Allegan County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Allegan County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 269-673-0450
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1836
- Allegan County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (616) 673-8471
- Land Records: 1835
- Allegan County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: (269) 673-4167
- Probate Records: 1835
- Allegan County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (269) 673-0300
- Court Records: 1837
- Michigan Land Records
- Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973
- BLM Land Records
Allegan County, MI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Allegan County, MI?
A list of Allegan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Michigan Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Allegan County Historical Society 13 Walnut St. Allegan MI 49010; 616-673-4853
- Saugatuck-douglas Historical Society P.O. Box 619 Douglas 49406
- Western Michigan Genealogical Society c/o Grand Rapids Public Library 111 Library Street NE Grand Rapids MI 49503-3268
- Then & Now Historical & Genealogical Society of E. Allegan County 532 N. Main Wayland MI 49348-1043
- Wayland Area Tree Tracers 129 W. Cedar St. Wayland 49348
- State Archives of Michigan, 702 W Kalamazoo Str, P.O. Box 30738, Lansing, MI 48909-8238; (517) 373-1408
- Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St, Lansing, MI 48909
- Historical Society of Michigan, 1305 Abbott Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823; (517) 324-1828
Where can I connect with other Allegan County, MI Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Allegan County, MI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Allegan County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Allegan Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Allegan Co. MI Cemeteries & Church Records
Allegan Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Allegan Co. MI General and History Websites
Allegan Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Allegan Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Allegan Co. MI Military Records
Allegan Co. MI Schools & Directories