Suffolk County, Massachusetts
Genealogy and Facts
Suffolk County, Massachusetts genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Suffolk Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Suffolk County was founded on May 10, 1643 as one of four original counties created in the Massachusetts Bay Colony. . The county was named for the English county of Suffolk.
Currently the Suffolk County Seat is situated in Boston and the county government was abolished on July 1, 1999
Places adjacent to Suffolk County are Essex County (north), Norfolk County (south), Middlesex County (west).
Cities and towns situated in Suffolk County are made up of Allston, Boston, Brighton, Charlestown, Chelsea, Dorchester, East Boston, Grove Hall, Hyde Park, Jamaica Plain, Mattapan, Revere, Roslindale, Roxbury, South Boston, West Roxbury, Winthrop.
Suffolk County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Suffolk Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Suffolk Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Suffolk Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms that can help with your research.
Suffolk County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Suffolk County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Massachusetts State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Boston Historical Society, Old State House, 206 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02109-1713; Phone: (617) 720-1713
- Brighton-Alston Historical Society, Box 35-163, Brighton, MA 02135; Phone: (617) 782-8483
- Chinese Historical Society of New England, 2 Boylston Street, (Suite 210), Boston, MA 02116; Phone: (617) 338-4339
- Dorchester Historical Society, 195 Boston Street, Dorchester, MA 02125-1613; Phone: (617) 265-7802
- Freedom Trail Foundation, 3 Schoool Street, Boston, MA 02108; Phone: (617) 227-8800
- Jamaica Plain Historical Society, P.O. Box 2924, Jamaica Plain MA 02130; Phone: (617) 522-1150
- Roslindale Historical Society, 120 Poplar Street, Roslindale, MA 02131
- South End Historical Society, 522 Massachusetts Avenue, Boston, MA 02118; Phone: (617) 536-4445
- Stoneham Historical Society, 36 William Street, Stoneham, MA 02180-3845
- Suffolk County, Massachusetts Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Suffolk County
- Suffolk County, Massachusetts Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Suffolk County
- USGenWeb Archives for Suffolk County (usgwarchives.net)
Suffolk County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the great importance of Suffolk County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy details. Hidden away in Massachusetts courthouses and archives just about everywhere are the aspirations and frustrations of many Massachusetts inhabitants. The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed document of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Suffolk County court records. Even if your ancestors is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Remember to get in touch with the clerk's dept to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will aid persons in finding the resources, however it is up to the individual to perform the basic research. For Town Records contact the Town Clerk (Helpful Telephone Listings for your City/Town Hall
The following information and facts shows whatever birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records will be in Suffolk County. The dates indicated below could be the first recognized records data for this particular county. In 1793 all that was Suffolk County except Boston, Chelsea, Hingham, and Hull became Norfolk County.
- Suffolk County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 24 New Chardon Street, Boston, MA 02114
- Suffolk County Register of Deeds is the place where all transactions of a Real Property nature are recorded so that the public is made aware of their existence. Deeds, mortgages, tax liens, water liens, declaration of homestead and many other kinds of documents regarding the title and ownership of real estate are noted permanently in official records.
- Phone: (617) 788-8575
- Land Records: 1639
- Suffolk County Clerk of Probate Court has many responsibilities which include the administration of estates, probate of wills, and the appointment of guardians, have been under the jurisdiction of the courts since the 1630s. County courts and later, county judges of probate, were responsible for these functions until 1783, when the probate courts were established. In the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, the probate and family courts were given jurisdiction over adoptions, divorces, name changes, and domestic relations.
- Phone: (617) 788-8300
- Probate Records: 1636
- Suffolk County Clerk of Courts has jurisdiction over all civil, criminal, and equity cases.
- Phone: (617) 788-8160
- Court Records: 1671
- Suffolk County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records). Clerks respond to inquiries regarding vital records, since most have indexes available. They also have tax lists that may still be available at the town office. Earlier taxes for the towns exist as well.
- Massachusetts Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Massachusetts for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. Vital Records have been registered in Massachusetts since 1635. Statewide collection began in 1841.
Suffolk County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Suffolk County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a cost. This is just a collection which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own preferred Suffolk County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Suffolk Co. MA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Suffolk Co. MA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificates in Massachusetts
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Vital Records 1841 - 1910 (sec.state.ma.us)
- Boston, Massachusetts, Marriages, 1700-1809 (search.ancestry.com)
- Boston Vital Records, 1630-99 (search.ancestry.com)
- Boston Births, 1700-1800 (search.ancestry.com)
- Vital records of Roxbury, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849 (search.ancestry.com)
- Boston marriages from 1752 to 1809 (search.ancestry.com)
- Dorchester births, marriages, and deaths to the end of 1825 (search.ancestry.com)
- Vital records of the town of Dorchester from 1826 to 1849 (search.ancestry.com)
- Massachusetts Vital Records Index Pre-1850 (fold3.com)
- Massachusetts Vital Record Transcripts, 1620-1849 (fold3.com)
- Massachusetts Vital Records, 1620-1915 (fold3.com)
- Massachusetts Vital Records, 1620-1915 (Boston) (fold3.com)
- Massachusetts Vital Records Index 1841-1895 (fold3.com)
- Massachusetts, Town Birth Records, 1620-1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Massachusetts Town Marriage Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Massachusetts, Town Death Records, 1620-1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Suffolk Co. MA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Massachusetts Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Suffolk County Wills (search.ancestry.com)
- Boston, Massachusetts, Report of the Record Commissioners, 1736-42 (search.ancestry.com)
- Records of the Suffolk County Court : 1671-1680. (search.ancestry.com)
- Boston, Massachusetts, Report of the Record Commissioners, Miscellaneous Papers (search.ancestry.com)
- Fourth report of the Record Commissioners of the city of Boston, 1880. (search.ancestry.com)
- The taxable valuation of the real and personal estates, with the polls and amount of tax, in the town of Dorchester (search.ancestry.com)
- Index to the city documents, 1834 to 1909 : with an appendix containing a list of city publications not included among the numb (search.ancestry.com)
- Registers of probate for the county of Suffolk, Massachusetts : 1639-1799 (search.ancestry.com)
- Registers of deeds for the county of Suffolk, Massachusetts (search.ancestry.com)
- Documents relating to the Ursuline Convent in Charlestown (search.ancestry.com)
- Assessors' taking books of the town of Boston, 1780 (search.ancestry.com)
- Inventory of town and city archives of Massachusetts, no. 13, Suffolk County. (search.ancestry.com)
- Catalogue of records and files in the office of the clerk of the Supreme Judicial Court for the county of Suffolk (search.ancestry.com)
- List of persons assessed a state, town, and county tax in the town of Charlestown for the year 1846 (search.ancestry.com)
- Massachusetts Name Changes, 1780-1892 (search.ancestry.com)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Suffolk Co. MA Census Records
Suffolk Co. MA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Suffolk Co. MA Church & Bible Records
Suffolk Co. MA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Suffolk Co. MA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Massachusetts
- Suffolk County, Massachusetts Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- A volume of records relating to the early history of Boston (search.ancestry.com)
- The Memorial history of Boston : including Suffolk County, Massachusetts, 1630-1880 (search.ancestry.com)
- A documentary history of Chelsea : including the Boston precincts of Winnisimmet, Rumney Marsh, and Pullen Point, 1624-1824 (search.ancestry.com)
- Old Landmarks and Historic Personages of Boston (search.ancestry.com)
- A history of East Boston : with biographical sketches of its early proprietors, and an appendix (search.ancestry.com)
- Village, Section or Neighborhood Names of Massachusetts Communities (sec.state.ma.us)
- Suffolk County, Massachusetts Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Suffolk Co. MA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Suffolk County, Massachusetts (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Massachusetts - Counties - Suffolk (cyndislist.com)
- Suffolk County Massachusetts (genealogytrails.com)
- Suffolk Co. MAGenweb (suffolkctymagenweb.org)
- Suffolk County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Suffolk Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Suffolk Co. MA Immigration & Naturalization
- See Also Statewide Immigration and Naturalization Links for Massachusetts
- Boston Passenger and Crew Lists, 1820-1943 (search.ancestry.com)
- Boston, 1821-1850 Passenger and Immigration Lists (search.ancestry.com)
- Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore Steamship Arrivals, 1890-1930 (search.ancestry.com)
- U.S: Boston Arrivals of Jewish Immigrants from HIAS Records, 1882-1929 (search.ancestry.com)
- Boston, Massachusetts Passenger Lists, 1884 (search.ancestry.com)
- Boston Port Arrivals and Immigrants, 1715-16, 1762-69 (search.ancestry.com)
- Port Arrivals and Immigrants to the City of Boston, 1715-1716 and 1762-1769 (search.ancestry.com)
Suffolk Co. MA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Suffolk Co. MA Military Records
Suffolk Co. MA Schools & Directories
- Massachusetts City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Massachusetts. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information.
- Boston, Massachusetts Directory, 1890 (search.ancestry.com)
- Boston, Massachusetts, 1913 Harvard University Alumni Directory (search.ancestry.com)
- Chelsea, Massachusetts Directories, 1890-92 (search.ancestry.com)
- Suffolk County, Boston City Massachusetts 1810 City Directory (search.ancestry.com)
- Boston, Massachusetts Directory, 1805 (search.ancestry.com)
- Boston, Massachusetts Directory, 1800 (search.ancestry.com)
- Boston, Massachusetts Directory, 1796 (search.ancestry.com)
- Boston, Massachusetts City Directory, 1789 (search.ancestry.com)
- Leading business men of Back Bay, South End, Boston Highlands, Jamaica Plain and Dorchester (search.ancestry.com)
- The Roxbury directory (search.ancestry.com)
- Memorials of the First Church in Dorchester : from its settlement in New England, to the end of the second century : in two dis (search.ancestry.com)