Plymouth County, Massachusetts
Genealogy, History & Facts
Plymouth County, Massachusetts Facts
When was Plymouth County, MA Created?
Plymouth County was founded on June 2, 1685 as one of three original counties created in the Plymouth Colony. The county was named for its seat of Plymouth, which is named for the English port city of Plymouth. Plymouth Colony divided into three counties in 1685. The entire colony joined with Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1691 to form the commonwealth.
What is the County Seat of Plymouth County, MA?
The County Seat is located in Plymouth & Brockton and the county government website is http://www.plymouthcountymass.us/
What counties are adjacent to Plymouth County, MA?
Bordering Counties are Norfolk County (northwest), Barnstable County (southeast), Bristol County (west).
What cities and towns are in Plymouth County, MA?
Cities and towns located in the County include Abington, Bridgewater, Brockton, Carver, Duxbury, East Bridgewater, Halifax, Hanover, Hanson, Hingham, Hull, Kingston, Lakeville, Marion, Marshfield, Mattapoisett, Middleborough, Norwell, Pembroke, Plymouth, Plympton, Rochester, Rockland, Scituate, Wareham, West Bridgewater, Whitman.
Plymouth County, MA Vital Records
Where can find Plymouth County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Plymouth County vital records can be found at the Massachusetts Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Massachusetts for current fees and application process. Vital Records have been registered in Massachusetts since 1635. Statewide collection began in 1841. There is a fee for each copy requested. Records for events that occurred from 1841-1910 are available at the State Archives.
Plymouth County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records). Clerks respond to inquiries regarding vital records, since most have indexes available.
You can search online for Plymouth County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Massachusetts Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- Vital records of Bridgewater, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850
- Vital records of Scituate, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Vital records of Rochester, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Vital records of Abington, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Vital records of Plympton, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Records of the Town of Plymouth, Vol. III
- Vital records of Pembroke, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- Vital records of Kingston, Massachusetts, to the year 1850
- Records of the Town of Plymouth, Vol. II
- Vital records of Brockton, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850
- Records of the Town of Plymouth, Vol. I
- A copy of the records of births, marriages and deaths, and of intentions of marriage of the town of Hanover, Mass., 1717-1787
- Records of Plymouth Colony
- Vital records of the town of Halifax, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1849
- Vital records of Carver, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850
- Vital records of Hanson, Massachusetts to the year 185
- Vital records of Hull, Massachusetts to the year 1850
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Massachusetts Marriage Project
- Early Vital Records of Massachusetts, From 1600 to 1850
- Massachusetts, State Vital Records, 1841-1920
- Massachusetts, Town Clerk, Vital and Towns Records, 1579-2001
- Massachusetts Vital Records Index Pre-1850
- Massachusetts Vital Record Transcripts, 1620-1849
- Massachusetts Vital Records, 1620-1915
- Massachusetts Vital Records Index 1841-1895
- Massachusetts, Births and Christenings, 1639-1915
- Massachusetts, Births, 1841-1915
- Boston Births, 1700-1800
- Massachusetts, Town Birth Records, 1620-1850
- Massachusetts, Marriages, 1695-1910
- Massachusetts, Marriages, 1633-1850
- Boston Marriages from 1752 to 1809
- Boston Marriages from 1700 to 1751
- Massachusetts, Marriages, 1841-1915
- Early Massachusetts Marriages Prior to 1800, Vol. II
- Early Massachusetts Marriages Prior to 1800, Vol. III
- Early Massachusetts Marriages Prior to 1800, Vol. I
- Early Massachusetts Marriages Prior to 1800, Vol. IV
- Massachusetts Marriages to 1800
- Massachusetts Town Marriage Records
- Massachusetts, Death Index, 1970-2003
- Massachusetts Death Index, 1970-2003
- Massachusetts, Deaths and Burials, 1795-1910
- Massachusetts, Deaths, 1841-1915
- Massachusetts, Town Death Records, 1620-1850
Plymouth County, MA Census Records
What Plymouth County, MA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Plymouth County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Plymouth Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Plymouth Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Plymouth Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890.
Massachusetts state censuses exist for the years 1855 and 1865. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Massachusetts Census Records Research Guide
Plymouth County, MA Courthouse and Government Records
Plymouth County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Plymouth County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Plymouth County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. For Town Records contact the Town Clerk (Helpful Telephone Listings for your City/Town Hall). See Also Massachusetts Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. All earlier records that apply to Plymouth Colony are at the county commissioner's office above, bound in a separate series. The present probate and registry of deeds office is at the same address. Court records (1686—1859) are at the Pilgrim Society, Court Street, Plymouth, MA 02360.
Old Plymouth County Courthouse
- Plymouth County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 52 Obery Street, Plymouth, MA 02360
- Plymouth County Register of Deeds is the place where all transactions of a Real Property nature are recorded so that the public is made aware of their existence. Deeds, mortgages, tax liens, water liens, declaration of homestead and many other kinds of documents regarding the title and ownership of real estate are noted permanently in official records.
- Address: 50 Obery Street Plymouth MA 02360
- Phone: 508-830-9200
- Land Records: 1620
- Plymouth County Clerk of Probate Court has many responsibilities which include the administration of estates, probate of wills, and the appointment of guardians, have been under the jurisdiction of the courts since the 1630s. County courts and later, county judges of probate, were responsible for these functions until 1783, when the probate courts were established. In the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, the probate and family courts were given jurisdiction over adoptions, divorces, name changes, and domestic relations.
- Phone: (508) 747-6204
- Probate Records: 1633
- Plymouth County Clerk of Courts has jurisdiction over all civil, criminal, and equity cases.
- Phone: (508) 583-8250 and (508) 747-8565
- Court Records: 1630
- Plymouth County Town Clerks have tax lists that may still be available at the town office. Earlier taxes for the towns exist as well.
- Massachusetts, Plymouth County, Probate Estate Files, 1686-1915
- Copy of the old records of the town of Duxbury, Mass., from 1642 to 1770 : made in the year 1892.
- Massachusetts Name Changes, 1780-1892
- BLM Land Records
Plymouth County, MA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Plymouth County, MA?
A list of Plymouth County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Massachusetts Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Brockton Historical Society, 216 No. Pearl Street, Brockton, MA 02301; Phone: (508) 583-1039
- Duxbury Rural & Historical Society, PO Box 2865, 479 Washington Street, Duxbury, MA 02331; Phone: (781) 934-6106
- Hingham Historical Society, P.O Box 434, Hingham, MA 02043; Phone: (781) 749-7721
- Mattapoisett Historical Society, 5 Church Street, Mattapoisett, MA; Phone: (508) 758-2654
- Rockland Historical Society, P.O. Box 1331, 242 Union Street, Rockland MA 02370; (207) 594-6193
- Scituate Historical Society, 43 Cudworth Road, P. O. Box 276, Scituate Massachusetts 02066 - 781 545-1083
- Massachusetts Historical Society, 1154 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02215
- State Archives Building, 220 Morrissey Boulevard, Boston, MA 02125
Where can I connect with other Plymouth County, MA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Plymouth County, MA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Plymouth County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a cost. This is just a collection which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.
Plymouth Co. MA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Plymouth Co. MA Cemeteries & Church Records
- Massachusetts Cemetery Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Epitaphs from Burial Hill, Plymouth, Massachusetts, 1657-1892 (search.ancestry.com)
- Epitaphs from Burial Hill, Plymouth, Massachusetts, from 1657 to 1892 : with biographical and historical notes (search.ancestry.com)
- Death records from the ancient burial ground at Kingston, Massachusetts (search.ancestry.com)
- Plymouth Co., Massachusetts Graves (findagrave.com)
- Epitaphs in Old Bridgewater, Massachusetts (search.ancestry.com)
- Plymouth County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Plymouth Co., Massachusetts Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Plymouth Co., Massachusetts Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Massachusetts Church & Bible Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Records of the First Church of Wareham, Massachusetts, 1739-1891 (search.ancestry.com)
- Plymouth, Massachusetts Church Records, Vols. I and II, 1620-1859 (search.ancestry.com)
- Plymouth County, Massachusetts Church Books (amazon.com)
Plymouth Co. MA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Plymouth Co. MA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Massachusetts
- Plymouth County, Massachusetts Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (1884) (archive.org)
- Plymouth Colony, History and People (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Plymouth County, Massachusetts : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men (search.ancestry.com)
- Records of the town of Plymouth (search.ancestry.com)
- History of North Bridgewater : Plymouth County, Massachusetts : from its first settlement to the present time, with family regi (search.ancestry.com)
- Plymouth County, Massachusetts Biographical Review, 1897 (search.ancestry.com)
- Village, Section or Neighborhood Names of Massachusetts Communities (sec.state.ma.us)
- Plymouth County, Massachusetts Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Plymouth Co. MA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Plymouth County, Massachusetts (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Massachusetts - Counties - Plymouth (cyndislist.com)
- Plymouth County Massachusetts (genealogytrails.com)
- Plymouth Co. MAGenweb (plymouthcolony.net)
- Plymouth County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Plymouth Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Plymouth Co. MA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Plymouth Co. MA Military Records
Plymouth Co. MA Schools & Directories
- Massachusetts City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Massachusetts. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information.
- Brockton, Massachusetts City Directory, 1887-90 (search.ancestry.com)
- Plymouth, Massachusetts Directories, 1890, 1893 (search.ancestry.com)
- Whitman, Massachusetts Directories, 1889, 1892 (search.ancestry.com)
- Middleboro, Massachusetts Directory, 1890 (search.ancestry.com)
- Abington, Massachusetts Directories, 1889, 1892 (search.ancestry.com)
- Scituate, Massachusetts Directory, 1894 (search.ancestry.com)
- Marshfield, Massachusetts Directory, 1894 (search.ancestry.com)
- Plymouth church records, 1620-1859 (search.ancestry.com)
- Duxbury, Massachusetts Directory, 1894 (search.ancestry.com)
- Norwell, Massachusetts Directory, 1894 (search.ancestry.com)
- Lakeville, Massachusetts Directory, 1890 (search.ancestry.com)