Hampden County, Massachusetts
Genealogy and Facts
Hampden County, Massachusetts genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Hampden Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Hampden County was founded on February 25, 1812 from Hampshire County. The county was named in honor of John Hampden (1595—1643), the famous 17th century English parliamentarian.
Currently the Hampden County Seat is situated in Springfield and the county government was abolished on July 1, 1998
Places adjacent to Hampden County are Hampshire County (north), Worcester County (east), Tolland County, Connecticut (southeast), Hartford County, Connecticut (south), Litchfield County, Connecticut (southwest), Berkshire County (west).
Cities and towns situated in Hampden County are made up of Agawam, Brimfield, Chicopee, East Longmeadow, Feeding Hills, Granville, Hampden, Holland, Holyoke, Indian Orchard, Longmeadow, Ludlow, Monson, Montgomery, Palmer, Russell, Southwick, Springfield, Wales, West Springfield, Westfield, Wilbraham.
Hampden County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Hampden Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hampden Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hampden Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms that can help with your research.
Hampden County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Hampden County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Massachusetts State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Chester Historical Society, Town Hall, 15 Middlefield Street, Chester, MA 01011
- Longmeadow Historical Society, 697 Longmeadow Street, Longmeadow, MA 01106; (413) 567-3600
- Western Massachusetts Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 418, West Springfield, MA 01090
- Westfield Historic Commission, 59 Court Street.
Westfield, MA 01085; (413) 572-6200
- Hampden County, Massachusetts Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hampden County
- Hampden County, Massachusetts Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Hampden County
- USGenWeb Archives for Hampden County (usgwarchives.net)
Hampden County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the great importance of Hampden County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy details. Hidden away in Massachusetts courthouses and archives just about everywhere are the aspirations and frustrations of many Massachusetts inhabitants. The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed document of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Hampden County court records. Even if your ancestors is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Remember to get in touch with the clerk's dept to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will aid persons in finding the resources, however it is up to the individual to perform the basic research. For Town Records contact the Town Clerk (Helpful Telephone Listings for your City/Town Hall
The following information and facts shows whatever birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records will be in Hampden County. The dates indicated below could be the first recognized records data for this particular county.
- Hampden County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 50 State Street, Springfield, MA 01102
- Hampden County Register of Deeds is the place where all transactions of a Real Property nature are recorded so that the public is made aware of their existence. Deeds, mortgages, tax liens, water liens, declaration of homestead and many other kinds of documents regarding the title and ownership of real estate are noted permanently in official records. Although not established as the Hampden County until 1812, Springfield was the registry for Hampden's parent county, Hampshire, which was divided into 3 registries-- Deerfield, Springfield and Northampton-- in 1787. Deerfield registry was transfered to Greenfield when Franklin County was established in 1811. All deeds for land originally in Hampshire County as well as Franklin and Hampden before thier county division from Hampshire, are located at the Springfield registry.
- Phone: (413) 755 - 1722
- Land Records: 1636
- Hampden County Clerk of Probate Court has many responsibilities which include the administration of estates, probate of wills, and the appointment of guardians, have been under the jurisdiction of the courts since the 1630s. County courts and later, county judges of probate, were responsible for these functions until 1783, when the probate courts were established. In the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, the probate and family courts were given jurisdiction over adoptions, divorces, name changes, and domestic relations. Probate records before 1812 for towns covered now by Hampden County are at the Hampshire Probate Office in Northampton.
- Phone: (413) 748-6058
- Probate Records: 1812
- Hampden County Clerk of Courts has jurisdiction over all civil, criminal, and equity cases. The bulk of pre-1812 court records are also in Northampton.
- Phone: (413) 748-7631
- Court Records: 1812
- Hampden County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records). Clerks respond to inquiries regarding vital records, since most have indexes available. They also have tax lists that may still be available at the town office. Earlier taxes for the towns exist as well.
- Massachusetts Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Massachusetts for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. Vital Records have been registered in Massachusetts since 1635. Statewide collection began in 1841.
Hampden County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Hampden County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a cost. This is just a collection which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own preferred Hampden County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Hampden Co. MA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hampden Co. MA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificates in Massachusetts
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Vital Records 1841 - 1910 (sec.state.ma.us)
- Massachusetts, Springfield Vital Records, 1638-1887 (familysearch.org)
- Vital records of West Springfield, Massachusetts to the year 1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Vital records of Brimfield, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Vital records of Chester, Massachusetts to the end of the year 1850. (search.ancestry.com)
- Vital records of Granville, Massachusetts to the year 1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Baptisms, marriages, and deaths, 1736-1809, First Church [of Christ], Springfield, Mass. (search.ancestry.com)
- Vital records of Montgomery, Massachusetts to the year 1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Massachusetts Vital Records Index Pre-1850 (fold3.com)
- Massachusetts Vital Record Transcripts, 1620-1849 (fold3.com)
- Massachusetts Vital Records Index 1841-1895 (fold3.com)
- Massachusetts, Town Birth Records, 1620-1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Massachusetts Town Marriage Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Massachusetts, Town Death Records, 1620-1850 (search.ancestry.com)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Hampden Co. MA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hampden Co. MA Census Records
Hampden Co. MA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Hampden Co. MA Church & Bible Records
Hampden Co. MA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hampden Co. MA General and History Websites
Hampden Co. MA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hampden Co. MA Military Records
Hampden Co. MA Schools & Directories
- Massachusetts City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Massachusetts. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information.
- Holyoke, Massachusetts Directories, 1888-90, 1892 (search.ancestry.com)
- Springfield, Massachusetts Directories, 1890-91 (search.ancestry.com)
- Palmer, Massachusetts Directory, 1892 (search.ancestry.com)