Caroline County, Maryland
Genealogy and Facts
Caroline County, Maryland genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Caroline Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Caroline County was founded on June 15, 1773 from Dorchester County and Queen Anne's County . This county was named in honor of Lady Caroline Eden, daughter of Charles Calvert, 5th Baron Baltimore.
The Caroline County Seat is situated in Denton additionally, the county government website is www.carolinemd.org/
Areas next to Caroline County are Queen Anne's County (north), Talbot County (west), Dorchester County (south), Kent County, Delaware (east), Sussex County, Delaware (southeast).
Cities and towns to be found in Caroline County include Denton (incorporated 1802), Federalsburg (incorporated 1823), Goldsboro (incorporated 1906), Greensboro (incorporated 1826), Henderson (incorporated 1949), Hillsboro (incorporated 1853), Marydel (incorporated 1929), Preston (incorporated 1892), Ridgely (incorporated 1896), Templeville (incorporated 1865).
Caroline County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.Caroline Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Caroline Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Caroline Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Caroline County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Caroline County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Maryland State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Caroline County, Historical Society, 16 North Second St., Denton, MD 21629, (410) 479-2055
- Caroline County Genealogical Society, % Miss. Dora W. Mitchell, Preston, MD 21655
- Upper Shore Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 275, Easton 21601
- Caroline County, Maryland Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Caroline County
- Caroline County, Maryland Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Caroline County
- USGenWeb Archives for Caroline County (usgwarchives.net)
Government records of Allegany County are available in original, microfilm and digital formats from the Maryland State Archives
Caroline County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the advantages of Caroline County court, probate, and land documents as a source of genealogy and family history details. Buried away in Maryland courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the aspirations and frustrations of countless Maryland inhabitants.
The possibilities are very good that your particular ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Caroline County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures that could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details just before visiting or looking for information because of occasionally changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Many workers will guide individuals in finding the materials, but it is up to the particular person to complete the research.
The below information and facts shows whatever death, marriage, birth, property, probate, and court records are typically in Caroline County. The dates pointed out below tend to be the first widely known records data for this county.
- Caroline County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 109 Market Street, Denton, Maryland 21629
- Caroline County Circuit Court Clerk is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: 410-479-1811
- Marriage Records: 1774
- Land Records: 1774
- Caroline County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk responsibilities include supervising Clerk's office personnel in the civil, criminal, courtroom clerks, business license, marriage license, land records, and juvenile units.
- Phone: (410) 479-0717 or (888) 786-0019
- Probate Records: 1774
- Caroline County Government Records are available from the Maryland State Archives
- Maryland Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Maryland for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Caroline County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Caroline County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is simply a listing that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Caroline County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Caroline Co. MD Books, Newspapers & Publications
Caroline Co. MD Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Caroline Co. MD Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Caroline Co. MD Census Records
Caroline Co. MD Cemeteries & Graveyards
Caroline Co. MD Church & Bible Records
Caroline Co. MD Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Caroline Co. MD General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Maryland
- Caroline County, Maryland Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Caroline County, Maryland, from its beginning (archive.org)
- The History of Caroline County, Maryland, From Its Beginning, 1920 (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- History of Caroline County, Maryland, from its beginning (search.ancestry.com)
- Caroline County, MD Visitors network (marylandvisitorsnetwork.com)
- Caroline County, Maryland Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Caroline Co. MD Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Caroline County, Maryland (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Maryland - Counties - Caroline (cyndislist.com)
- Caroline County Maryland (genealogytrails.com)
- Caroline Co. MDGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Caroline County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Caroline Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Caroline Co. MD Immigration & Naturalization
Caroline Co. MD Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Caroline Co. MD Military Records