Oxford County, Maine
Oxford County was founded on March 4, 1805 from parts of Cumberland County and York County (originally Oxford County, Massachusetts). This county was named for named for Oxford, Massachusetts..
The Oxford County Seat is situated in Paris and the county government website is http://www.oxfordcounty.org/
Locations adjacent to Oxford County happen to be Franklin County (northeast), Androscoggin County (east), Cumberland County (southeast), York County (south), Carroll County, New Hampshire (southwest), Coos County, New Hampshire (west).
Cities and towns found in Oxford County include Andover, Bethel, Brownfield, Buckfield, Byron, Canton, Denmark, Dixfield, Fryeburg, Gilead, Greenwood, Hanover, Hartford, Hebron, Hiram, Lincoln Plantation, Lovell, Magalloway Plantation, Mexico, Newry, Norway, Otisfield, Oxford, Paris, Peru, Porter, Roxbury, Rumford, Stoneham, Stow, Sumner, Sweden, Upton, Waterford, West Paris, Woodstock.
Oxford County has Federal Census Schedules to aid in exploring your family tree. Government Population Schedules can be found for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Oxford Co. Oxford Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Oxford Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Oxford Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. You can find free online and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Oxford County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Oxford County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Oxford County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically overlook the significance of Oxford County court, probate, and land files as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Maine courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of many Maine inhabitants. The odds are great that your chosen forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Oxford County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Remember to get in touch with the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide persons in locating the resources, however it's up to the particular person to complete the researching.
The following specifics shows whatever birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and court records are usually in Oxford County. The years pointed out below are the first known records with this county.
- Oxford County Courthouse, 26 Western Ave, South Paris, ME 04281
- Phone: (207) 743-6359
- Oxford County Registry of Deeds is the place where all transactions of a Real Property nature are recorded so that the public is made aware of their existence. Deeds, mortgages, tax liens, water liens, declaration of homestead and many other kinds of documents regarding the title and ownership of real estate are noted permanently in official records.
- Oxford County Clerk of Probate Court has has had several relating definitions over the years: the Widows and Orphans Court; the Poor Court; and the Court of Protection. All of these terms fit the description of the Probate Court.The Probate Court carries out the following procedures: Adoptions, Guardianship of Minors, Guardianships, Conservatorships, Change of Names, Estates, Trusts and Beginning Sept. 18, 1999 - Support of Enforcement.
- Oxford County Town Clerks has copies of vital records (birth, marriage, divorce and death records). Clerks respond to inquiries regarding vital records, since most have indexes available. Some of the Clerks records have been transfered to the Maine State Archives.
- Maine Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Maine for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Oxford County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Oxford County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most popular Oxford County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Oxford Co. ME Books, Newspapers & Publications
Oxford Co. ME Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Oxford Co. ME Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also Maine Court & Tax, Land and Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Oxford County, Probate Estate Files, 1805-1915 (familysearch.org) Images of probate estate files located at the Oxford County Courthouse in South Paris. The collection is divided into three parts: 1805-1819, 1820-1899, and 1900-1915. Most of the files are arranged by file drawer number then by name.
- Maine Court Records, 1696-1854
- Maine Will Abstracts, 1640-1760
- Maine, County Probate Records, 1760-1979 (familysearch.org) Images of county probate books. The record content and time period varies by county.
- BLM Land Records
Oxford Co. ME Census Records
Oxford Co. ME Church & Cemeteries
Oxford Co. ME Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Oxford Co. ME General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Maine
- Oxford County, Maine Wikipedia
- History of Paris, Maine to 1880
- Rumford, Oxford County, Maine: Town History
- Buckfield, Oxford County, Maine: Town History to 1900
- Notes of Livermore, in Androscoggin (formerly in Oxford) County, Maine
- History of Paris, Maine, from its settlement to 1880 : with a history of the grants of 1736 & 1771 : together with personal sk
- Oxford County, Maine Wiki
- Oxford Co. ME Genealogy
- Family History Library
- Oxford County, Maine
- Cyndi's List - United States - Maine - Counties - Oxford
- Oxford Co. MEGenweb
- Oxford County Genealogy Queries
- Oxford Co. Data Collections
Oxford Co. ME Immigration & Naturalization
Oxford Co. ME Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Oxford Co. ME Military Records
- See Also Statewide Military Records for Maine
- Maine, Veterans Cemetery Records, 1676-1918 (familysearch.org) Card file of veteran cemetery records located at the Maine State Archives. Cards are arranged by war then alphabetical by surname. The index cards may contain dates of birth, death and place of death and burial. The Index covers King Philip's War through World War I.
- Maine Military Records gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Maine men and women which served. Perfect for Oxford County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Oxford Co. ME Schools & Directories
- Maine City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Maine. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.
- The Maine register and business directory for the year 1856