Trigg County, Kentucky
Genealogy and Facts
Trigg County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Trigg Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Trigg County was established on January 27, 1820 from Christian County and Caldwell County. Currently the county was named in honor of Stephen Trigg (1744–1782), military colonel killed at the Battle of Blue Licks .
Currently the Trigg County Seat is situated in Cadiz additionally, the county government website is www.triggcounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Trigg County happen to be Lyon County (north), Caldwell County (northeast), Christian County (east), Stewart County, Tennessee (south), Calloway County (southwest), Marshall County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Trigg County comprise of Cadiz, Cerulean, Wallonia, Canton, Rockcastle.
Trigg County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Trigg Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Trigg Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Trigg Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Trigg Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Trigg County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Trigg County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Trigg County Historical Society, Route 2; 274 Dyers Hill Road, Cadiz KY 42211
- Trigg County Historical & Preservation Society, Box 1008, Cadiz KY 42211
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Trigg County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Trigg County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Trigg County
- Trigg County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Trigg County
- KYTRIGG. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Trigg County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- LBL. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Land Between the Lakes region of Kentucky covering Lyon, Caldwell, and Trigg Counties. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KYWEST. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Western Kentucky counties of Ballard, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Christian, Crittenden, Fulton, Graves, Henderson, Hickman, Hopkins, Livingston, Lyon, McCracken, Marshall, Trigg, Union, and Webster. Postings must have a connection to one of these counties. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- SWKY-NWTN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the counties of southwest Kentucky (Fulton, Graves, Calloway, Trigg, Marshall, Hickman, Carlisle, Lyon, Livingston, Ballard, Caldwell, Crittenden) and northwest Tennessee (Obion, Weakley, Henry, Carroll, Benton, Dyer, Gibson, Humphreys). To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
Trigg County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Trigg County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Trigg County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Trigg county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Courthouse fires on 13 Dec 1864, 13 Jan 1892, and 29 Nov 1920 destroyed many records
- Triggd County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Cadiz, KY, 42211
- Phone: (270) 522-6661
- Marriage Records: 1820
- Land Records: 1820
- Probate Records: 1820
- Trigg County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Trigg County Justice Center, 41 Main St., P.O. Box 673, Cadiz, KY 42211-0673
- Phone: (270) 522-6270
- Court Records: 1820
- Trigg County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Trigg County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Trigg County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Trigg County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Trigg County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Trigg Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Trigg Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Trigg Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Trigg Co. KY Census Records
Trigg Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Trigg Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Trigg Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Trigg Co. KY General and History Websites
Trigg Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Trigg Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Trigg Co. KY Military Records