Powell County, Kentucky
Genealogy and Facts
Powell County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Powell Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Powell County was established on January 7, 1852
from Clark County, Estill County and Montgomery County. Currently the county was named in honor of Lazarus Whitehead Powell, nineteenth Governor of Kentucky (1851–1855) .
Currently the Powell County Seat is situated in Stanton additionally, the county government website is www.powellcounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Powell County happen to be Montgomery County (north), Menifee County (northeast), Wolfe County (southeast), Lee County (south), Estill County (southwest), Clark County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Powell County comprise of Clay City, Stanton, Slade.
Powell County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Powell Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1860. Powell Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Powell Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Powell Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Powell County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Powell County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Red River Historical Society, Box 195, Clay City KY 40312
- Powell County Public Library, 725 Breckinridge Street, Stanton, Kentucky 40380; 606-663-4511
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Powell County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Powell County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Powell County
- Powell County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Powell County
- KYPOWELL. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Powell County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Central Kentucky including Boyle, Bullitt, Casey, Clark, Estill, Garrard, Hardin, Jackson, Jessamine, LaRue, Lincoln, Marion, Nelson, Russell, Taylor, and Powell Counties. The list also covers any central Kentucky area if the county is unknown. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode)
Powell County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Powell County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Powell County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Powell county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. The courthouse was burned by guerrillas in the Spring of 1863, and the jail was burned in 1864. Records were lost in both fires.
- Powelld County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 525 Washington St., Ste. 109, Stanton, KY, 40380
- Phone: (606) 663-1380
- Marriage Records: 1852
- Land Records: 1864
- Probate Records: 1864
- Powell County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Powell County Courthouse, 525 Washington St., P.O. Box 578, Stanton, KY 40380-0578
- Phone: (606) 663-4141
- Court Records: 1864
- Powell County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Powell County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Powell County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Powell County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Powell County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Powell Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Powell Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Powell Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Powell Co. KY Census Records
Powell Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Powell Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Powell Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Powell Co. KY General and History Websites
Powell Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Powell Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Powell Co. KY Military Records