Ohio County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Ohio County, Kentucky Facts
When was Ohio County, KY Created?
Ohio County was created on December 17, 1798 from Hardin County. Currently the county was named for the Ohio River, which formed the county's northern border until the creation of Daviess and Hancock counties .
What is the County Seat of Ohio County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Hartford additionally, the county government website is www.ohiocounty.ky.gov
What counties are adjacent to Ohio County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Hancock County, Breckinridge County, Grayson County, Butler County, Muhlenberg County, McLean County, Daviess County.
What cities and towns are in Ohio County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Baizetown, Beaver Dam, Centertown, Cool Springs, Cromwell, Dundee, Echols, Fordsville, Hartford, Magan, McHenry, Pleasant Ridge, Prentiss, Rockport, Rosine.
Ohio County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Ohio County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Ohio County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Ohio County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Ohio County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Ohio County, KY Census Records
What Ohio County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Ohio County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Ohio Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Ohio Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ohio Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ohio Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Ohio County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Ohio County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Ohio County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Ohio County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. The courthouse burned on 20 Dec 1864.
- Ohiod County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 301 South Main Street, Hartford, KY, 42347
- Phone: (270) 298-4422
- Marriage Records: 1799
- Land Records: 1798
- Probate Records: 1799
- Ohio County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Ohio County Community Center, 130 E. Washington, St., P.O. Box 67, Hartford, KY 42347-0067
- Phone: (270) 298-3671
- Court Records: 1799
- Ohio County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Ohio County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Ohio County USGenWeb Archives Project
Ohio County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Ohio County, KY?
A list of Ohio County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Ohio County Genealogical Society, 317 N. Main, Beaver Dam KY 42320
- Ohio County Historical Society, 415 Mulberry St, Hartford 42347-1734
Where can I connect with other Ohio County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Ohio County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Ohio County
- Ohio County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYOHIO. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Ohio County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- WEST-CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in West-Central Kentucky, including the counties of Breckinridge, Butler, Daviess, Edmonson, Grayson, Hancock, Hardin, Hart, LaRue, McLean, Meade, and Ohio, which were all derived in large part from Old Hardin County as it was created in 1792. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Ohio County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Ohio County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Ohio Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Ohio Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Ohio Co. KY General and History Websites
Ohio Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Ohio Co. KY Military Records