Morgan County, Kentucky
Morgan County was established on December 7, 1822 from Floyd County and Bath County. Currently the county was named in honor of Daniel Morgan (1736–1802), Revolutionary War general .
Currently the Morgan County Seat is situated in West Liberty additionally, the county government website is www.morgancounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Morgan County happen to be Rowan County (northwest), Elliott County (north), Lawrence County (northeast), Johnson County (east), Magoffin County (southeast), Wolfe County (southwest), Menifee County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Morgan County comprise of West Liberty, Cannel City, Crockett, Ezel, Wrigley.
Morgan County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Morgan County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
Morgan County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Morgan Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Morgan Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morgan Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morgan Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Morgan County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Morgan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Morgan County Historical Society, P.O. Box 900; Route 1, West Liberty KY 41472
- Morgan County Public Library, 151 University Drive, West Liberty, KY 41472; (606) 743-4151 - Office
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Morgan County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Morgan County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Morgan County
- Morgan County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Morgan County
- KYMORGAN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Morgan County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KYMORGAN-HISTORY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in Morgan County, Kentucky, including its formation. This list is strictly for genealogy/history discussions, chatting about other county-related topics is beyond the scope of the list. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KYMorgan-Rooters. A mailing list for anyone with a historic or genealogical interest in Morgan County, Kentucky. Surname queries are welcome. To subscribe send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org: subscribe
- SE-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Kentucky counties that border Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia, and surrounding south eastern Kentucky counties (i.e., Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan, Clay, Leslie, Perry, Letcher, Knott, Breathitt, Pike, Floyd, Martin, Johnson, Morgan, Lawrence). To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode)
Morgan County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Morgan County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Morgan County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Morgan county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Courthouse records were lost twice: in Oct 1862 and in 1925.
- Morgand County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 450 West Liberty St., West Liberty, KY, 41472
- Phone: (606) 743-2111
- Marriage Records: 1823
- Land Records: 1823
- Probate Records: 1823
- Morgan County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Morgan County Courthouse, 518 Main St., P.O. Box 85, West Liberty, KY 41472-0085
- Phone: (606) 743-3763
- Court Records: 1823
- Morgan County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Morgan County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
Morgan County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Morgan County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Morgan County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Morgan Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Morgan Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Morgan Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Morgan Co. KY Census Records
Morgan Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Morgan Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Morgan Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Morgan Co. KY General and History Websites
Morgan Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Morgan Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Morgan Co. KY Military Records