Morgan County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Morgan County, Kentucky Facts
When was Morgan County, KY Created?
Morgan County was created on December 7, 1822 from Floyd County and Bath County. Currently the county was named in honor of Daniel Morgan (1736–1802), Revolutionary War general .
What is the County Seat of Morgan County, KY?
The County Seat is located in West Liberty additionally, the county government website is www.morgancounty.ky.gov
What counties are adjacent to Morgan County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Rowan County (northwest), Elliott County (north), Lawrence County (northeast), Johnson County (east), Magoffin County (southeast), Wolfe County (southwest), Menifee County (west).
What cities and towns are in Morgan County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include West Liberty, Cannel City, Crockett, Ezel, Wrigley.
Morgan County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Morgan County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Morgan County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Morgan County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Morgan County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Morgan County, KY Census Records
What Morgan County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Morgan County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Morgan Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Morgan Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morgan Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morgan Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Morgan County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Morgan County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Morgan County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Morgan County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Courthouse records were lost twice: in Oct 1862 and in 1925.
- Morgand County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 450 West Liberty St., West Liberty, KY, 41472
- Phone: (606) 743-2111
- Marriage Records: 1823
- Land Records: 1823
- Probate Records: 1823
- Morgan County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Morgan County Courthouse, 518 Main St., P.O. Box 85, West Liberty, KY 41472-0085
- Phone: (606) 743-3763
- Court Records: 1823
- Morgan County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Morgan County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Morgan County USGenWeb Archives Project
Morgan County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Morgan County, KY?
A list of Morgan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Morgan County Historical Society, P.O. Box 900; Route 1, West Liberty KY 41472
- Morgan County Public Library, 151 University Drive, West Liberty, KY 41472; (606) 743-4151 - Office
Where can I connect with other Morgan County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Morgan County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Morgan County
- Morgan County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Morgan County
- KYMORGAN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Morgan County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYMORGAN-HISTORY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in Morgan County, Kentucky, including its formation. This list is strictly for genealogy/history discussions, chatting about other county-related topics is beyond the scope of the list. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYMorgan-Rooters. A mailing list for anyone with a historic or genealogical interest in Morgan County, Kentucky. Surname queries are welcome. To subscribe send the following to email@example.com: subscribe
- SE-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Kentucky counties that border Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia, and surrounding south eastern Kentucky counties (i.e., Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan, Clay, Leslie, Perry, Letcher, Knott, Breathitt, Pike, Floyd, Martin, Johnson, Morgan, Lawrence). To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode)
What other genealogical resources are available in Morgan County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Morgan County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Morgan Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Morgan Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Morgan Co. KY General and History Websites
Morgan Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Morgan Co. KY Military Records