Metcalfe County, Kentucky
Genealogy and Facts
Metcalfe County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Metcalfe Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Metcalfe County was established on May 1, 1860 from Barren County, Monroe County, Adair County, Cumberland County and Green County. Currently the county was named in honor of Thomas Metcalfe, tenth Governor of Kentucky (1828–1832) .
Currently the Metcalfe County Seat is situated in Edmonton additionally, the county government website is www.metcalfecounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Metcalfe County happen to be Hart County (northwest), Green County (northeast), Adair County (east), Cumberland County (southeast), Monroe County (south), Barren County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Metcalfe County comprise of Edmonton, Summer Shade, Randolph, Center, Knob Lick, Beaumont, Sulpher Well, Savoyard.
Metcalfe County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Metcalfe Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1860. Metcalfe Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Metcalfe Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Metcalfe Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Metcalfe County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Metcalfe County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Metcalfe County Historical Society,
Edmonton KY 42129
- South Central Kentucky Historical and Genealogical Society, PO Box 157, Glasgow, KY 42142-0157; Serving Barren, Cumberland, Metcalfe & Monroe Counties.
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Metcalfe County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Metcalfe County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Metcalfe County
- Metcalfe County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Metcalfe County
- KYMETCAL. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Metcalfe County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- SOUTH-CENTRAL-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Kentucky counties of Allen, Barren, Cumberland, Edmonson, Green, Hardin, Hart, Logan, Metcalfe, Monroe, and Warren. As well as a place for the posting of queries, the list owner will post source data from these counties on a daily basis (as much as possible) including wills, vital statistics, and cemetery records. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
Metcalfe County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Metcalfe County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Metcalfe County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Metcalfe county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. There were reportedly courthouse fies in Mar 1865, and in 1867 or 1868.
- Metcalfed County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Edmonton, KY, 42129
- Phone: (270) 432-4821
- Marriage Records: 1867
- Land Records: 1868
- Probate Records: 1865
- Metcalfe County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Metcalfe County Courthouse, 201 East Stockton St., P.O. Box 27, Edmonton, KY 42129-0027
- Phone: (270) 432-3663
- Court Records: 1868
- Metcalfe County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Metcalfe County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Metcalfe County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Metcalfe County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Metcalfe County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Metcalfe Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Metcalfe Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Metcalfe Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Metcalfe Co. KY Census Records
Metcalfe Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Metcalfe Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Metcalfe Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Metcalfe Co. KY General and History Websites
Metcalfe Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Metcalfe Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Metcalfe Co. KY Military Records