Metcalfe County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Metcalfe County, Kentucky Facts
When was Metcalfe County, KY Created?
Metcalfe County was created on May 1, 1860 from Barren County, Monroe County, Adair County, Cumberland County and Green County. Currently the county was named in honor of Thomas Metcalfe, tenth Governor of Kentucky (1828–1832) .
What is the County Seat of Metcalfe County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Edmonton additionally, the county government website is www.metcalfecounty.ky.gov
What counties are adjacent to Metcalfe County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Hart County (northwest), Green County (northeast), Adair County (east), Cumberland County (southeast), Monroe County (south), Barren County (west).
What cities and towns are in Metcalfe County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Edmonton, Summer Shade, Randolph, Center, Knob Lick, Beaumont, Sulpher Well, Savoyard.
Metcalfe County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Metcalfe County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Metcalfe County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Metcalfe County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Metcalfe County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Metcalfe County, KY Census Records
What Metcalfe County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Metcalfe County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Metcalfe Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1860. Metcalfe Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Metcalfe Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Metcalfe Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Metcalfe County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Metcalfe County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Metcalfe County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Metcalfe County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. There were reportedly courthouse fies in Mar 1865, and in 1867 or 1868.
- Metcalfed County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Edmonton, KY, 42129
- Phone: (270) 432-4821
- Marriage Records: 1867
- Land Records: 1868
- Probate Records: 1865
- Metcalfe County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Metcalfe County Courthouse, 201 East Stockton St., P.O. Box 27, Edmonton, KY 42129-0027
- Phone: (270) 432-3663
- Court Records: 1868
- Metcalfe County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Metcalfe County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Metcalfe County USGenWeb Archives Project
Metcalfe County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Metcalfe County, KY?
A list of Metcalfe County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Metcalfe County Historical Society,
Edmonton KY 42129
- South Central Kentucky Historical and Genealogical Society, PO Box 157, Glasgow, KY 42142-0157; Serving Barren, Cumberland, Metcalfe & Monroe Counties.
Where can I connect with other Metcalfe County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Metcalfe County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Metcalfe County
- Metcalfe County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYMETCAL. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Metcalfe County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- SOUTH-CENTRAL-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Kentucky counties of Allen, Barren, Cumberland, Edmonson, Green, Hardin, Hart, Logan, Metcalfe, Monroe, and Warren. As well as a place for the posting of queries, the list owner will post source data from these counties on a daily basis (as much as possible) including wills, vital statistics, and cemetery records. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Metcalfe County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Metcalfe County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Metcalfe Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Metcalfe Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Metcalfe Co. KY General and History Websites
Metcalfe Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Metcalfe Co. KY Military Records