McLean County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
McLean County, Kentucky Facts
When was McLean County, KY Created?
McLean County was created on January 28, 1854 from Muhlenberg County, Daviess County and Ohio County. Currently the county was named in honor of Alney McLean (1815–1817; 1819–1821), United States Representative from Kentucky .
What is the County Seat of McLean County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Calhoun additionally, the county government website is www.mcleancounty.ky.gov
What counties are adjacent to McLean County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Henderson County, Daviess County, Ohio County, Muhlenberg County, Hopkins County, Webster County.
What cities and towns are in McLean County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Calhoun, Livermore, Sacramento, Island, Beech Grove, Rumsey, Comer, Congleton, Wrightsburg, Elba, Poverty, Cleopatra, Lemon, Wyman, Pack, Semiway, Poplar Grove, Guffie, Buel, Nuckols, Livia, Glenville, and Buttonsberry.
McLean County, KY Vital Records
Where can find McLean County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
McLean County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for McLean County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- McLean County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
McLean County, KY Census Records
What McLean County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for McLean County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
McLean Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1860. McLean Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. McLean Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. McLean Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
McLean County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
McLean County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the McLean County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in McLean County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. There was a courthouse fire in 1903.
- McLeand County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Calhoun, KY, 42327
- Phone: (270) 273-3082
- Marriage Records: 1854
- Land Records: 1854
- Probate Records: 1847
- McLean County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: McLean County Courthouse, 210 E. Main St., P.O. Box 145, Calhoun, KY 42327-0145
- Phone: (270) 273-3966
- Court Records: 1854
- McLean County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- McLean County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- McLean County USGenWeb Archives Project
McLean County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for McLean County, KY?
A list of McLean County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- McLean County Historical Society,
Box 193, Route 3,
Calhoun KY 42327
Where can I connect with other McLean County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- McLean County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in McLean County
- McLean County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYMCLEAN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in McLean County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- WEST-CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in West-Central Kentucky, including the counties of Breckinridge, Butler, Daviess, Edmonson, Grayson, Hancock, Hardin, Hart, LaRue, McLean, Meade, and Ohio, which were all derived in large part from Old Hardin County as it was created in 1792. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in McLean County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to McLean County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
McLean Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
McLean Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
McLean Co. KY General and History Websites
McLean Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
McLean Co. KY Military Records