McCracken County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
McCracken County, Kentucky Facts
When was McCracken County, KY Created?
McCracken County was created on January 15, 1825 from Hickman County. Currently the county was named in honor of Virgil McCracken, military captain killed at the Battle of Frenchtown .
What is the County Seat of McCracken County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Paducah additionally, the county government website is mccrackenfiscalcourt.com
What counties are adjacent to McCracken County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Massac County, Illinois (north), Livingston County (northeast), Marshall County (east), Graves County (south), Carlisle County (southwest), Ballard County (west).
What cities and towns are in McCracken County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Hendron, Lone Oak, Massac, Paducah, Reidland, Woodlawn-Oakdale.
McCracken County, KY Vital Records
Where can find McCracken County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
McCracken County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for McCracken County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- McCracken County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
McCracken County, KY Census Records
What McCracken County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for McCracken County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
McCracken Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. McCracken Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. McCracken Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. McCracken Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
McCracken County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
McCracken County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the McCracken County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in McCracken County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- McCracken County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Paducah, KY, 42002
- Phone: (270) 444-4700
- Marriage Records: 1825
- Land Records: 1825
- Probate Records: 1825
- McCracken County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: McCracken County Courthouse, 301 S. Sixth St., P.O. Box 1455, Paducah, KY 42002-1455
- Phone: (270) 575-7280
- Court Records: 1825
- McCracken County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- McCracken County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- McCracken County USGenWeb Archives Project
McCracken County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for McCracken County, KY?
A list of McCracken County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- McCracken County Genealogical Society, P.O.Box 7651, 4640 Buckner Lane, Paducah, KY 42001
Where can I connect with other McCracken County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- McCracken County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in McCracken County
- McCracken County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for McCracken County
- KYMCCRAC. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in McCracken County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYWEST. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Western Kentucky counties of Ballard, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Christian, Crittenden, Fulton, Graves, Henderson, Hickman, Hopkins, Livingston, Lyon, McCracken, Marshall, Trigg, Union, and Webster. Postings must have a connection to one of these counties. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYJacksonPurchase. A mailing list for those whose family roots and research trace to the Jackson Purchase area of Western Kentucky, covering the counties of Ballard, Calloway, Carlisle, Fulton, Graves, Hickman, Marshall, and McCracken. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYJacksonPurchase-LORE. A mailing list anyone with a genealogical interest in 19th and early-20th century familiy stories and lore in the Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky, covering the counties of Ballard, Calloway, Carlisle, Fulton, Graves, Hickman, Marshall, and McCracken. This list is dedicated more to preserving the historical background of families in the Jackson Purchase area than to "names and dates" genealogy, which can be posted to the KYJacksonPurchase list discussed above. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in McCracken County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to McCracken County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
McCracken Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
McCracken Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
McCracken Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
McCracken Co. KY General and History Websites
McCracken Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
McCracken Co. KY Military Records
McCracken Co. KY Schools & Directories