Lyon County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Lyon County, Kentucky Facts
When was Lyon County, KY Created?
Lyon County was created on January 14, 1854 from Caldwell County. Currently the county was named in honor of Chittenden Lyon, United States Representative from Kentucky (1827–1835) .
What is the County Seat of Lyon County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Eddyville additionally, the county government website is www.lyoncounty.ky.gov
What counties are adjacent to Lyon County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Crittenden County (north), Caldwell County (east), Trigg County (south), Marshall County (southwest), Livingston County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Lyon County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Eddyville, Kuttawa.
Lyon County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Lyon County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Lyon County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Lyon County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Lyon County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Lyon County, KY Census Records
What Lyon County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Lyon County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lyon Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Lyon Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lyon Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lyon Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Lyon County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Lyon County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Lyon County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Lyon County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Lyon County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Eddyville, KY, 42038
- Phone: (270) 388-2331
- Marriage Records: 1854
- Land Records: 1854
- Probate Records: 1847
- Lyon County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Lyon County Judicial Center, 500 W. Dale Ave., P.O. Box 565, Eddyville, KY 42038-0565
- Phone: (270) 388-7231
- Court Records: 1854
- Lyon County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Lyon County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Lyon County USGenWeb Archives Project
Lyon County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Lyon County, KY?
A list of Lyon County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Lyon County Historical Society, P.O. Box 811, Eddyville KY 42038
Where can I connect with other Lyon County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lyon County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lyon County
- Lyon County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lyon County
- KYLYON. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Lyon County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KYWEST. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Western Kentucky counties of Ballard, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Christian, Crittenden, Fulton, Graves, Henderson, Hickman, Hopkins, Livingston, Lyon, McCracken, Marshall, Trigg, Union, and Webster. Postings must have a connection to one of these counties. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- LBL. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Land Between the Lakes region of Kentucky covering Lyon, Caldwell, and Trigg Counties. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- SWKY-NWTN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the counties of southwest Kentucky (Fulton, Graves, Calloway, Trigg, Marshall, Hickman, Carlisle, Lyon, Livingston, Ballard, Caldwell, Crittenden) and northwest Tennessee (Obion, Weakley, Henry, Carroll, Benton, Dyer, Gibson, Humphreys). To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Lyon County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lyon County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Lyon Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lyon Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Lyon Co. KY General and History Websites
Lyon Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lyon Co. KY Military Records