Lyon County, Kentucky
Lyon County was established on January 14, 1854 from Caldwell County. Currently the county was named in honor of Chittenden Lyon, United States Representative from Kentucky (1827–1835) .
Currently the Lyon County Seat is situated in Eddyville additionally, the county government website is www.lyoncounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Lyon County happen to be Crittenden County (north), Caldwell County (east), Trigg County (south), Marshall County (southwest), Livingston County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Lyon County comprise of Eddyville, Kuttawa.
Lyon County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Lyon County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
Lyon County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lyon Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Lyon Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lyon Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lyon Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Lyon County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lyon County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Lyon County Historical Society, P.O. Box 811, Eddyville KY 42038
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lyon County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Lyon County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lyon County
- Lyon County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lyon County
- KYLYON. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Lyon County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KYWEST. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Western Kentucky counties of Ballard, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Christian, Crittenden, Fulton, Graves, Henderson, Hickman, Hopkins, Livingston, Lyon, McCracken, Marshall, Trigg, Union, and Webster. Postings must have a connection to one of these counties. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- LBL. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Land Between the Lakes region of Kentucky covering Lyon, Caldwell, and Trigg Counties. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- SWKY-NWTN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the counties of southwest Kentucky (Fulton, Graves, Calloway, Trigg, Marshall, Hickman, Carlisle, Lyon, Livingston, Ballard, Caldwell, Crittenden) and northwest Tennessee (Obion, Weakley, Henry, Carroll, Benton, Dyer, Gibson, Humphreys). To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
Lyon County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Lyon County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Lyon County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Lyon County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Lyon County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Eddyville, KY, 42038
- Phone: (270) 388-2331
- Marriage Records: 1854
- Land Records: 1854
- Probate Records: 1847
- Lyon County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Lyon County Judicial Center, 500 W. Dale Ave., P.O. Box 565, Eddyville, KY 42038-0565
- Phone: (270) 388-7231
- Court Records: 1854
- Lyon County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Lyon County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
Lyon County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lyon County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Lyon County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Lyon Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lyon Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lyon Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lyon Co. KY Census Records
Lyon Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lyon Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Lyon Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lyon Co. KY General and History Websites
Lyon Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Lyon Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lyon Co. KY Military Records