Logan County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Logan County, Kentucky Facts
When was Logan County, KY Created?
Logan County was created on September 1, 1792 from Lincoln County. Currently the county was named in honor of Benjamin Logan (1742–1802), Revolutionary War general .
What is the County Seat of Logan County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Russellville additionally, the county government website is www.logancounty.ky.gov
What counties are adjacent to Logan County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Muhlenberg County (northwest), Butler County (north), Warren County (northeast), Simpson County (southeast), Robertson County, Tennessee (south), Todd County (west).
What cities and towns are in Logan County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Adairville, Auburn, Lewisburg, Russellville; unincorporated communities include Olmstead and Chandlers Chapel.
Logan County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Logan County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Logan County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Logan County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Orena V. Grant genealogical collection (marriages and cemetery records)
- Logan County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Logan County, KY Census Records
What Logan County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Logan County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Logan Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Logan Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Logan Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Logan Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Logan County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Logan County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Logan County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Logan County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Logan County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 229 West 3rd St., Russellville, KY, 42276
- Phone: (270) 726-4355
- Marriage Records: 1790
- Land Records: 1792
- Probate Records: 1795
- Logan County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Logan County Court of Justice, 329 W. Fourth St., P.O. Box 420, Russellville, KY 42276-0420
- Phone: (270) 726-2424
- Court Records:1793
- Logan County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Logan County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Logan Co., KY Order Book indexes for 1792-1860
- Order Book 1, 1792-1806
- Order Book 1A, 1793-1802
- Order Book 2, 1801-1803
- Order Book 3, 1803-1806
- Order Book 4, 1806-1809
- Order Book 5, 1809-1813
- Order Book 6, 1813-1817
- Order Book 7, 1817-1822
- Order Book 8, 1822-1830
- Order Book 9, 1830-1838
- Order Book 10, 1839-1846
- Order Book 11, 1846-1853
- Order Book 12, 1854-1860
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Logan County USGenWeb Archives Project
Logan County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Logan County, KY?
A list of Logan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Logan County Genealogical Society, Box 853, Russellville KY 42276
- Auburn Historical Society, Auburn KY
Where can I connect with other Logan County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Logan County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Logan County
- Logan County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Logan County
- SOUTH-CENTRAL-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Kentucky counties of Allen, Barren, Cumberland, Edmonson, Green, Hardin, Hart, Logan, Metcalfe, Monroe, and Warren. As well as a place for the posting of queries, the list owner will post source data from these counties on a daily basis (as much as possible) including wills, vital statistics, and cemetery records. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYLOGAN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Logan County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KY-AUBHISTSOC. A mailing list for the discussion and sharing of information regarding the activities of the Auburn (Kentucky) Historical Society and genealogical resources available in the Logan/Simpson County area. Genealogical queries are welcome as long as they address areas specifically related to Logan and Simpson Counties or the Greenwood Schoolhouse. Additional information can be found on the Auburn Historical Society website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Logan County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Logan County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Logan Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Logan Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Logan Co. KY General and History Websites
Logan Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Logan Co. KY Military Records