Lincoln County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Lincoln County, Kentucky Facts
When was Lincoln County, KY Created?
Lincoln County was created on June 30, 1780 as one of three original Kentucky counties (became effective November 1, 1780). Currently the county was named in honor of Benjamin Lincoln (1733–1810), Revolutionary War general .
What is the County Seat of Lincoln County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Stanford additionally, the county government website is www.lincolnky.com
What counties are adjacent to Lincoln County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Boyle County (northwest), Garrard County (northeast), Rockcastle County (east), Pulaski County (south), Casey County (west).
What cities and towns are in Lincoln County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Crab Orchard, Eubank, Hustonville, Stanford.
Lincoln County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Lincoln County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Lincoln County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Lincoln County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Lincoln County, Kentucky Marriage Records, 1781-1792
- Some original land grant surveys along Green River in Lincoln and Casey Counties, Kentucky (1781-1836)
- Lincoln County, Kentucky Wills and Administrations, Vol. 1
- Lincoln County, Kentucky Marriage (1793-1800) & Will (1801-1807) Records
- Lincoln County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Lincoln County, KY Census Records
What Lincoln County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Lincoln County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lincoln Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Lincoln Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lincoln Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lincoln Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Lincoln County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Lincoln County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Lincoln County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Lincoln County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Lincoln County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 102 East Main St., Ste.5, Stanford, KY, 40484
- Phone: (606) 365-4572
- Marriage Records: 1781
- Land Records: 1780
- Probate Records: 1781
- Lincoln County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Lincoln County Judicial Center, 101 E. Main St., Stanford, KY 40484
- Phone: (606) 365-2535
- Court Records: 1780
- Lincoln County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Lincoln County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Lincoln County USGenWeb Archives Project
Lincoln County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Lincoln County, KY?
A list of Lincoln County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Lincoln County Historical Society, 313 Redwood Drive, Stanford KY 40484
Where can I connect with other Lincoln County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lincoln County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lincoln County
- Lincoln County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYLINCOL. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Lincoln County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Central Kentucky including Boyle, Bullitt, Casey, Clark, Estill, Garrard, Hardin, Jackson, Jessamine, LaRue, Lincoln, Marion, Nelson, Russell, Taylor, and Powell Counties. The list also covers any central Kentucky area if the county is unknown. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Lincoln County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lincoln County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Lincoln Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lincoln Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Lincoln Co. KY General and History Websites
Lincoln Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lincoln Co. KY Military Records