Leslie County, Kentucky
Genealogy and Facts
Leslie County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Leslie Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Leslie County was established on March 29, 1878 from Clay County, Harlan County and Perry County. Currently the county was named in honor of Preston Leslie, twenty-sixth Governor of Kentucky (1871–1875) .
Currently the Leslie County Seat is situated in Hyden additionally, the county government website is www.lesliecounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Leslie County happen to be Perry County (north & east), Harlan County (southeast), Bell County (southwest), Clay County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Leslie County comprise of Hyden, Stinnett, Wooton, Hoskinston, Hell for Certain.
Leslie County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Leslie Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1880. Leslie Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1880. Leslie Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Leslie County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Leslie County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Leslie County Historical Society, Leslie County Library, P.O. Box 498, Hyden KY 41749
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Leslie County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Leslie County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Leslie County
- Leslie County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Leslie County
- KYLESLIE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Leslie County, Kentucky, which was formed in 1878 with the lower portion taken from Harlan County, the northwestern part from Clay County and the northeastern section from Perry County. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- SE-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Kentucky counties that border Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia, and surrounding south eastern Kentucky counties (i.e., Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan, Clay, Leslie, Perry, Letcher, Knott, Breathitt, Pike, Floyd, Martin, Johnson, Morgan, Lawrence). To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
Leslie County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Leslie County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Leslie County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Leslie County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Leslie County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 22010 Main St., Hyden, KY, 41749
- Phone: (606) 672-4264
- Marriage Records: 1878
- Land Records: 1879
- Probate Records: 1873
- Leslie County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Leslie County Courthouse, 22010 Main St., P.O. Box 1750, Hyden, KY 41749-1750
- Phone: (606) 672-2503
- Court Records: 1866
- Leslie County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Leslie County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Leslie County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Leslie County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Leslie County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Leslie Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Leslie Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Leslie Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Leslie Co. KY Census Records
Leslie Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Leslie Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Leslie Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Leslie Co. KY General and History Websites
Leslie Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Leslie Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Leslie Co. KY Military Records