Carter County, Kentucky
Genealogy and Facts
Carter County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Carter Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Carter County was established on April 10, 1838 from Greenup County and Lawrence County. Currently the county was named in honor of William Grayson Carter, Kentucky state senator (1834–1838) .
Currently the Carter County Seat is situated in Grayson additionally, the county government website is www.cartercounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Carter County happen to be Greenup County (northeast), Boyd County (east), Lawrence County (southeast), Elliott County (south), Rowan County (southwest), Lewis County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Carter County comprise of Denton, Grahn, Grayson, Olive Hill, Rush (Part).
Carter County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Carter Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Carter Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Carter Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Carter Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Carter County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Carter County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
County Historical and Genealogical Society, P.
O. Box 1128, Grayson,
- KYCARTER. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Carter County, Kentucky. Interested individuals may want to check out the Carter County KYGenWeb page. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Carter County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Carter County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Carter County
- Carter County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Carter County
Carter County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Carter County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Carter County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Carter County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Carter County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 300 West Main Street, Grayson, KY, 41143
- Phone: (606) 474-5188
- Marriage Records: 1838
- Land Records: 1838
- Probate Records: 1835
- Carter County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Carter County Justice Center, 100 E. Main St., Grayson, KY 41143
- Phone: (606) 474-5191
- Court Records: 1838
- Carter County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Carter County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
- Olive Hill Health Department, P.O. Box 728, Olive Hill, KY 41164; (606) 286-5588
- Carter County Health Center, Route 60, P.O. Box 919, Grayson, KY 41143; (606) 474-5109
- West Carter County Health Center,P.O. Box 728,Olive Hill, KY 41164
- Little Sandy Health Department, 300 West Main Street (at Courthouse), Grayson, KY 41143; (606) 474-6685
- Ordering Vital Records - You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Carter County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Carter County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Carter County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Carter Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Carter Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Carter Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Carter Co. KY Census Records
Carter Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Carter Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Carter Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Carter Co. KY General and History Websites
Carter Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Carter Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Carter Co. KY Military Records