Carroll County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Carroll County, Kentucky Facts
When was Carroll County, KY Created?
Carroll County was created on February 9, 1838 from Gallatin County, Henry County and Trimble County. Currently the county was named in honor of Charles Carroll (1737–1832), last living signer of the Declaration of Independence.
What is the County Seat of Carroll County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Carrollton additionally, the county government website is www.carrollcountygov.us
What counties are adjacent to Carroll County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Jefferson County, Indiana (north), Switzerland County, Indiana (northeast), Gallatin County (east), Owen County (southeast), Henry County (south), Trimble County (west).
What cities and towns are in Carroll County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Carrollton, English, Ghent, Prestonville, Sanders, Worthville.
Carroll County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Carroll County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Carroll County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Carroll County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Carroll County, Kentucky Marriages, 1838-1920 (search.ancestry.com)
- Carroll County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Carroll County, KY Census Records
What Carroll County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Carroll County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Carroll Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Carroll Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Carroll Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Carroll Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Carroll County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Carroll County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Carroll County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Carroll County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Carroll County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 440 Main Street, Carrollton, KY, 41008
- Phone: (502) 732-7005
- Marriage Records: 1836
- Land Records: 1795
- Probate Records: 1838
- Carroll County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: William L. Wheeler Hall of Justice, 802 Clay St., Carrollton, KY 41008
- Phone: (502) 732-4305
- Court Records: 1838
- Carroll County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Carroll County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Carroll County USGenWeb Archives Project
Carroll County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Carroll County, KY?
A list of Carroll County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Port William Historical Society, 311 Park Avenue, Carrollton KY 41008
Where can I connect with other Carroll County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Carroll County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Carroll County
- Carroll County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYCARROL. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Carroll County, Kentucky. Interested individuals may want to check out the Carroll County KYGenWeb page. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KENTUCKIANA. A mailing list for genealogy research and information exchange in the Indiana counties of Clark, Crawford, Dubois, Floyd, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Scott, Spencer, Warrick and Washington, and the Kentucky counties of Breckinridge, Bullitt, Carroll, Hardin, Jefferson, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer and Trimble. This is a highly research structured list, chatroom atmosphere is discouraged. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- SWKY-NWTN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the counties of southwest Kentucky (Fulton, Graves, Calloway, Trigg, Marshall, Hickman, Carlisle, Lyon, Livingston, Ballard, Caldwell, Crittenden) and northwest Tennessee (Obion, Weakley, Henry, Carroll, Benton, Dyer, Gibson, Humphreys). To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Carroll County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Carroll County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Carroll Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Carroll Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Carroll Co. KY General and History Websites
Carroll Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Carroll Co. KY Military Records