Carlisle County, Kentucky
Carlisle County was established on May 3, 1886 from Hickman County. Currently the county was named in honor of John G. Carlisle, United States legislator (1877–1889) and Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives.
Currently the Carlisle County Seat is situated in Bardwell additionally, the county government website is www.carlislecounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Carlisle County happen to be Ballard County (north), McCracken County (northeast), Graves County (east), Hickman County (south), Mississippi County, Missouri (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Carlisle County comprise of Arlington, Bardwell.
Carlisle County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Carlisle County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
Carlisle County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Carlisle Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Carlisle County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Carlisle County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Ballard-Carlisle Historical-Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 279, Wickliffe, KY 42087
- KYCARLIS. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Carlisle County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KYJacksonPurchase. A mailing list for those whose family roots and research trace to the Jackson Purchase area of Western Kentucky, covering the counties of Ballard, Calloway, Carlisle, Fulton, Graves, Hickman, Marshall, and McCracken. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KYJacksonPurchase-LORE. A mailing list anyone with a genealogical interest in 19th and early-20th century familiy stories and lore in the Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky, covering the counties of Ballard, Calloway, Carlisle, Fulton, Graves, Hickman, Marshall, and McCracken. This list is dedicated more to preserving the historical background of families in the Jackson Purchase area than to "names and dates" genealogy, which can be posted to the KYJacksonPurchase list discussed above. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KYWEST. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Western Kentucky counties of Ballard, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Christian, Crittenden, Fulton, Graves, Henderson, Hickman, Hopkins, Livingston, Lyon, McCracken, Marshall, Trigg, Union, and Webster. Postings must have a connection to one of these counties. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- SWKY-NWTN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the counties of southwest Kentucky (Fulton, Graves, Calloway, Trigg, Marshall, Hickman, Carlisle, Lyon, Livingston, Ballard, Caldwell, Crittenden) and northwest Tennessee (Obion, Weakley, Henry, Carroll, Benton, Dyer, Gibson, Humphreys). To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Carlisle County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Carlisle County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Carlisle County
- Carlisle County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Carlisle County
Carlisle County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Carlisle County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Carlisle County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Carlisle county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. A courthouse fire destroyed some tax records on 22 Oct 1980.
- Carlisled County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: West Court St., Bardwell, KY, 42023
- Phone: (270) 628-3233
- Marriage Records: 1886
- Land Records: 1886
- Probate Records: 1886
- Carlisle County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Carlisle County Courthouse, 985 U.S. Highway 62, P.O. Box 337, Bardwell, KY 42023-0337
- Phone: (270) 628-5425
- Court Records: 1886
- Carlisle County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Carlisle County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
Carlisle County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Carlisle County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Carlisle County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Carlisle Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Carlisle Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Carlisle Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Carlisle Co. KY Census Records
Carlisle Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Carlisle Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Carlisle Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Carlisle Co. KY General and History Websites
Carlisle Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Carlisle Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Carlisle Co. KY Military Records