Campbell County, Kentucky
Genealogy and Facts
Campbell County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Campbell Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Campbell County was established on December 17, 1794 from Harrison County, Mason County and Scott County. Currently the county was named in honor of John Campbell (1735–1799), Revolutionary War colonel .
Currently the Campbell County Seat is situated in Alexandria and Newport additionally, the county government website is www.campbellcountyky.org
Locations adjacent to Campbell County happen to be Hamilton County, Ohio (north), Clermont County, Ohio (east), Pendleton County (south), Kenton County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Campbell County comprise of Alexandria, Bellevue, California, Claryville, Cold Spring, Crestview, Dayton, Fort Thomas, Highland Heights, Melbourne, Mentor, Newport, Silver Grove, Southgate, Wilder, Woodlawn.
Campbell County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Campbell Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Campbell Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Campbell Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Campbell Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Campbell County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Campbell County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Campbell County Historical and Genealogical Society, 19 East Main St, Alexandria, Ky 41001; Phone:(859)635-6407 ; Membership: $10.00 calendar year. Research Office Hours: Tues. 12pm to 8pm and Sat. 10am to 3pm
- Campbell/Pendleton Historical Group, 37 Homestead Place, Ft. Thomas KY 41075
- Heritage League & Historical Society, 212 Linden Avenue, Southgate KY 41071
- KYCAMPBE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Campbell County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Campbell County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Campbell County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Campbell County
- Campbell County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Campbell County
Campbell County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Campbell County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Campbell County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Campbell county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. The Courthouse records may be in two different locations depending on the location of the county seat at the time. Both Newport (present county seat) and Alexandria should be searched, and there may be some overlap.
- Campbelld County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 340 York Street, Newport, KY, 41071
- Phone: (859) 292-3885
- Marriage Records: 1795
- Land Records: 1795
- Probate Records: 1795
- Campbell County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Campbell County Courthouse, 330 York St., Newport, KY 41071
- Phone: (859) 292-6305
- Court Records: 1791
- Campbell County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Campbell County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Campbell County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Campbell County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Campbell County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Campbell Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Campbell Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Campbell Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Campbell Co. KY Census Records
Campbell Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Campbell Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Campbell Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Campbell Co. KY General and History Websites
Campbell Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Campbell Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Campbell Co. KY Military Records
- See Also Statewide Military Records for Kentucky
- Report of proceedings incidental to the erection and dedication of the Confederate monument (search.ancestry.com) reception and entertainment of reception and entertainment of renowned southern generals and other distinguished personages, at Chicago, Illinois, luncheon and banquet given them at Cincinnati, Ohio, and their military greeting at Fort Thomas, Kentucky, May 29-June 1, 1895
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Campbell County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.