Bullitt County, Kentucky
Genealogy and Facts
Bullitt County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Bullitt Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Bullitt County was established on December 13, 1796 from Jefferson County and Nelson County. Currently the county was named in honor of Alexander Scott Bullitt, Lieutenant Governor of Kentucky (1800–1804) .
Currently the Bullitt County Seat is situated in Shepherdsville additionally, the county government website is www.bullittcounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Bullitt County happen to be Jefferson County (north), Spencer County (east), Nelson County (southeast), Hardin County (southwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Bullitt County comprise of Brooks, Fox Chase, Hebron Estates, Hillview, Hunters Hollow, Lebanon Junction, Mount Washington, Pioneer Village, Shepherdsville.
Bullitt County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Bullitt Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Bullitt Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bullitt Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bullitt Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Bullitt County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Bullitt County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Bullitt County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 960, Shepherdsville, KY 40165
- Bullitt County Public Libraries
- Ancestral Trails Historical Society, PO Box 1796, Elizabethtown, KY 42702-1796; (270) 982-0881. We are a Regional Society representing Breckinridge, Bullitt, Edmonson, Grayson, Hardin, Hart, Jefferson, LaRue, Meade, Nelson counties in Kentucky. We have a free research library with over 1200 books and many research books for sale. We have a index of the articles from our Quarterly News Magazine listed on our website. These articles can be requested at a minimal charge.
- KYBULLIT. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Bullitt County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- kybullitt. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Bullitt County, Kentucky. You can subscribe from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kybullitt/ or by sending the following to firstname.lastname@example.org: subscribe
- KENTUCKIANA. A mailing list for genealogy research and information exchange in the Indiana counties of Clark, Crawford, Dubois, Floyd, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Scott, Spencer, Warrick and Washington, and the Kentucky counties of Breckinridge, Bullitt, Carroll, Hardin, Jefferson, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer and Trimble. This is a highly research structured list, chatroom atmosphere is discouraged. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Bullitt County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Bullitt County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Bullitt County
- Bullitt County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Bullitt County
Bullitt County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Bullitt County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Bullitt County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Bullitt County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Bullitt County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 149 N. Walnut St., Shepherdsville, KY, 40165
- Phone: (502) 543-2513
- Marriage Records: 1797
- Land Records: 1797
- Probate Records: 1797
- Bullitt County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Bullitt County Judicial Center, 250 Frank E. Simon Ave., P.O. Box 746, Shepherdsville, KY 40165-0746
- Phone: (502) 543-7104
- Court Records: 1797
- Bullitt County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Bullitt County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Bullitt County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Bullitt County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Bullitt County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Bullitt Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Bullitt Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Bullitt Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Bullitt Co. KY Census Records
Bullitt Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Bullitt Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Bullitt Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Bullitt Co. KY General and History Websites
Bullitt Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Bullitt Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Bullitt Co. KY Military Records