Bullitt County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Bullitt County, Kentucky Facts
When was Bullitt County, KY Created?
Bullitt County was created on December 13, 1796 from Jefferson County and Nelson County. Currently the county was named in honor of Alexander Scott Bullitt, Lieutenant Governor of Kentucky (1800–1804) .
What is the County Seat of Bullitt County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Shepherdsville additionally, the county government website is www.bullittcounty.ky.gov
What counties are adjacent to Bullitt County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Jefferson County (north), Spencer County (east), Nelson County (southeast), Hardin County (southwest).
What cities and towns are in Bullitt County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Brooks, Fox Chase, Hebron Estates, Hillview, Hunters Hollow, Lebanon Junction, Mount Washington, Pioneer Village, Shepherdsville.
Bullitt County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Bullitt County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Bullitt County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Bullitt County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Bullitt County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Bullitt County, KY Census Records
What Bullitt County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Bullitt County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Bullitt Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Bullitt Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bullitt Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Bullitt Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Bullitt County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Bullitt County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Bullitt County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Bullitt County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Bullitt County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 149 N. Walnut St., Shepherdsville, KY, 40165
- Phone: (502) 543-2513
- Marriage Records: 1797
- Land Records: 1797
- Probate Records: 1797
- Bullitt County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Bullitt County Judicial Center, 250 Frank E. Simon Ave., P.O. Box 746, Shepherdsville, KY 40165-0746
- Phone: (502) 543-7104
- Court Records: 1797
- Bullitt County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Bullitt County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Bullitt County USGenWeb Archives Project
Bullitt County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Bullitt County, KY?
A list of Bullitt County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Bullitt County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 960, Shepherdsville, KY 40165
- Bullitt County Public Libraries
- Ancestral Trails Historical Society, PO Box 1796, Elizabethtown, KY 42702-1796; (270) 982-0881. We are a Regional Society representing Breckinridge, Bullitt, Edmonson, Grayson, Hardin, Hart, Jefferson, LaRue, Meade, Nelson counties in Kentucky. We have a free research library with over 1200 books and many research books for sale. We have a index of the articles from our Quarterly News Magazine listed on our website. These articles can be requested at a minimal charge.
Where can I connect with other Bullitt County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Bullitt County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Bullitt County
- Bullitt County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Bullitt County
- KYBULLIT. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Bullitt County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- kybullitt. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Bullitt County, Kentucky. You can subscribe from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kybullitt/ or by sending the following to email@example.com: subscribe
- KENTUCKIANA. A mailing list for genealogy research and information exchange in the Indiana counties of Clark, Crawford, Dubois, Floyd, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Scott, Spencer, Warrick and Washington, and the Kentucky counties of Breckinridge, Bullitt, Carroll, Hardin, Jefferson, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer and Trimble. This is a highly research structured list, chatroom atmosphere is discouraged. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Bullitt County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Bullitt County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Bullitt Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Bullitt Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Bullitt Co. KY General and History Websites
Bullitt Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Bullitt Co. KY Military Records