Breckinridge County, Kentucky
Breckinridge County was established on December 7, 1799 from Hardin County. Currently the county was named in honor of John Breckinridge (1760–1806), Kentucky statesman and U.S. Senator.
Currently the Breckinridge County Seat is situated in Hardinsburg additionally, the county government website is www.breckinridgecountyky.com
Locations adjacent to Breckinridge County happen to be Perry County, Indiana (northwest), Meade County (northeast), Hardin County (east), Grayson County (south), Ohio County (southwest), Hancock County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Breckinridge County comprise of Cloverport, Hardinsburg, Irvington, McDaniels, McQuady, Webster, Harned, Custer, Hites Run, Constantine, Garfield.
Breckinridge County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Breckinridge County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
Breckinridge County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Breckinridge Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Breckinridge Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Breckinridge Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Breckinridge Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Breckinridge County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Breckinridge County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Breckinridge County Historical Society, P.O. Box 498, Hardinsburg, Kentucky 40143-0498
- Breckinridge County Historical Society Museum, Main St., Hardinsburg 40143; 270-756-2347 or 270-756-2867. Open Sat. 9-12. FREE. Across from the county courthouse in a former bank building, the museum contains artifacts from the entire county's historic past.
- Ancestral Trails Historical Society, PO Box 1796, Elizabethtown, KY 42702-1796; (270) 982-0881. We are a Regional Society representing Breckinridge, Bullitt, Edmonson, Grayson, Hardin, Hart, Jefferson, LaRue, Meade, Nelson counties in Kentucky. We have a free research library with over 1200 books and many research books for sale. We have a index of the articles from our Quarterly News Magazine listed on our website. These articles can be requested at a minimal charge.
- KYBRECKI. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Breckinridge County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KENTUCKIANA. A mailing list for genealogy research and information exchange in the Indiana counties of Clark, Crawford, Dubois, Floyd, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Scott, Spencer, Warrick and Washington, and the Kentucky counties of Breckinridge, Bullitt, Carroll, Hardin, Jefferson, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer and Trimble. This is a highly research structured list, chatroom atmosphere is discouraged. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- WEST-CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in West-Central Kentucky, including the counties of Breckinridge, Butler, Daviess, Edmonson, Grayson, Hancock, Hardin, Hart, LaRue, McLean, Meade, and Ohio, which were all derived in large part from Old Hardin County as it was created in 1792. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Breckinridge County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Breckinridge County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Breckinridge County
- Breckinridge County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Breckinridge County
Breckinridge County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Breckinridge County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Breckinridge County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Breckinridge county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Records were saved from a fire on 28 Dec 1864, though some records were lost to a fire in Feb 1958.
- Breckinridged County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Hardinsburg, KY, 40143
- Phone: (270) 756-2246
- Marriage Records: 1860
- Land Records: 1800
- Probate Records: 1800
- Breckinridge County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Breckinridge County Courthouse, 208 S. Main St., P.O. Box 111, Hardinsburg, KY 40143-0111
- Phone: (270) 756-2239
- Court Records: 1803
- Breckinridge County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Breckinridge County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
Breckinridge County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Breckinridge County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite genealogy or family history related sites.
Breckinridge Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Breckinridge Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Breckinridge Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Breckinridge Co. KY Census Records
Breckinridge Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Breckinridge Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Breckinridge Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Breckinridge Co. KY General and History Websites
Breckinridge Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Breckinridge Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Breckinridge Co. KY Military Records