Breckinridge County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Breckinridge County, Kentucky Facts
When was Breckinridge County, KY Created?
Breckinridge County was created on December 7, 1799 from Hardin County. Currently the county was named in honor of John Breckinridge (1760–1806), Kentucky statesman and U.S. Senator.
What is the County Seat of Breckinridge County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Hardinsburg additionally, the county government website is www.breckinridgecountyky.com
What counties are adjacent to Breckinridge County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Perry County, Indiana (northwest), Meade County (northeast), Hardin County (east), Grayson County (south), Ohio County (southwest), Hancock County (west).
What cities and towns are in Breckinridge County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Cloverport, Hardinsburg, Irvington, McDaniels, McQuady, Webster, Harned, Custer, Hites Run, Constantine, Garfield.
Breckinridge County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Breckinridge County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Breckinridge County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Breckinridge County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Breckinridge County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Breckinridge County, KY Census Records
What Breckinridge County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Breckinridge County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Breckinridge Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Breckinridge Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Breckinridge Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Breckinridge Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Breckinridge County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Breckinridge County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Breckinridge County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Breckinridge County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Records were saved from a fire on 28 Dec 1864, though some records were lost to a fire in Feb 1958.
- Breckinridge County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Hardinsburg, KY, 40143
- Phone: (270) 756-2246
- Marriage Records: 1860
- Land Records: 1800
- Probate Records: 1800
- Breckinridge County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Breckinridge County Courthouse, 208 S. Main St., P.O. Box 111, Hardinsburg, KY 40143-0111
- Phone: (270) 756-2239
- Court Records: 1803
- Breckinridge County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Breckinridge County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Inventory of the county archives of Kentucky: Breckinridge County
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Breckinridge County USGenWeb Archives Project
Breckinridge County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Breckinridge County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Breckinridge County Historical Society, P.O. Box 498, Hardinsburg, Kentucky 40143-0498
- Breckinridge County Historical Society Museum, Main St., Hardinsburg 40143; 270-756-2347 or 270-756-2867. Open Sat. 9-12. FREE. Across from the county courthouse in a former bank building, the museum contains artifacts from the entire county's historic past.
- Ancestral Trails Historical Society, PO Box 1796, Elizabethtown, KY 42702-1796; (270) 982-0881. We are a Regional Society representing Breckinridge, Bullitt, Edmonson, Grayson, Hardin, Hart, Jefferson, LaRue, Meade, Nelson counties in Kentucky. We have a free research library with over 1200 books and many research books for sale. We have a index of the articles from our Quarterly News Magazine listed on our website. These articles can be requested at a minimal charge.
Where can I connect with other Breckinridge County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Breckinridge County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Breckinridge County
- Breckinridge County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYBRECKI. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Breckinridge County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KENTUCKIANA. A mailing list for genealogy research and information exchange in the Indiana counties of Clark, Crawford, Dubois, Floyd, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Scott, Spencer, Warrick and Washington, and the Kentucky counties of Breckinridge, Bullitt, Carroll, Hardin, Jefferson, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer and Trimble. This is a highly research structured list, chatroom atmosphere is discouraged. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- WEST-CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in West-Central Kentucky, including the counties of Breckinridge, Butler, Daviess, Edmonson, Grayson, Hancock, Hardin, Hart, LaRue, McLean, Meade, and Ohio, which were all derived in large part from Old Hardin County as it was created in 1792. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Breckinridge County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Breckinridge County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite genealogy or family history related sites.
Breckinridge Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Breckinridge Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Breckinridge Co. KY General and History Websites
Breckinridge Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Breckinridge Co. KY Military Records