Ballard County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Ballard County, Kentucky Facts
When was Ballard County, KY Created?
Ballard County was created on February 15, 1842 from Hickman County and McCracken County. Currently the county was named in honor of Bland Ballard (1761–1853), hero of the Battle of Fallen Timbers and Battle of River Raisin.
What is the County Seat of Ballard County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Wickliffe additionally, the county government website is www.ballardcounty.ky.gov
What counties are adjacent to Ballard County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Pulaski County, Illinois (north), McCracken County (east), Carlisle County (south), Mississippi County, Missouri (southwest), Alexander County, Illinois (west).
What cities and towns are in Ballard County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Bandana, Barlow, Blandville, Kevil, La Center, Monkey's Eyebrow, Wickliffe.
Ballard County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Ballard County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Ballard County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Ballard County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Marriage bonds of Bedford County, Virginia, 1755-1800 ...
- Ballard County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Ballard County, KY Census Records
What Ballard County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Ballard County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Ballard Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Ballard Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ballard Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ballard Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Ballard County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Ballard County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Ballard County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Ballard County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research. Most records were destroyed in a courthouse fire on 17 Feb 1880.
- Ballardd County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 132 N 4th St, Wickliffe, KY, 42087-0145
- Phone: (270) 335-5168
- Marriage Records: 1853
- Land Records: 1842
- Probate Records: 1842
- Ballard County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Ballard County Courthouse, 132 N. 4th St., P.O. Box 265, Wickliffe, KY 42087-0265
- Phone: (270) 335-5123
- Court Records: 1842
- Ballard County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Ballard County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Ballard County USGenWeb Archives Project
Ballard County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Ballard County, KY?
A list of Ballard County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Ballard-Carlisle Historical-Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 279, Wickliffe, KY 42087
Where can I connect with other Ballard County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Ballard County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Ballard County
- Ballard County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYBALLAR. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Ballard County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYJacksonPurchase. A mailing list for those whose family roots and research trace to the Jackson Purchase area of Western Kentucky, covering the counties of Ballard, Calloway, Carlisle, Fulton, Graves, Hickman, Marshall, and McCracken. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYJacksonPurchase-LORE. A mailing list anyone with a genealogical interest in 19th and early-20th century familiy stories and lore in the Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky, covering the counties of Ballard, Calloway, Carlisle, Fulton, Graves, Hickman, Marshall, and McCracken. This list is dedicated more to preserving the historical background of families in the Jackson Purchase area than to "names and dates" genealogy, which can be posted to the KYJacksonPurchase list discussed above. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYWEST. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Western Kentucky counties of Ballard, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Christian, Crittenden, Fulton, Graves, Henderson, Hickman, Hopkins, Livingston, Lyon, McCracken, Marshall, Trigg, Union, and Webster. Postings must have a connection to one of these counties. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- SWKY-NWTN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the counties of southwest Kentucky (Fulton, Graves, Calloway, Trigg, Marshall, Hickman, Carlisle, Lyon, Livingston, Ballard, Caldwell, Crittenden) and northwest Tennessee (Obion, Weakley, Henry, Carroll, Benton, Dyer, Gibson, Humphreys). To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Ballard County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Ballard County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Ballard Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Ballard Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Ballard Co. KY General and History Websites
Ballard Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Ballard Co. KY Military Records