Osborne County, Kansas
Genealogy, History & Facts
Osborne County, Kansas Facts
When was Osborne County, KS Created?
Osborne County was established on February 26, 1867 (organized on 1871) from Unorganized Territory. The county was named in honor of Pvt. Vincent B. Osborne, of Co. A, 2nd Kansas Cavalry, Union soldier and Civil War hero.
What is the County Seat of Osborne County, KS?
The County Seat is located in Osborne and the county government website is http://www.osbornecounty.org
What counties are adjacent to Osborne County, KS?
Bordering Counties are Smith County, Jewell County, Mitchell County, Lincoln County, Russell County, Ellis County, Rooks County.
What cities and towns are in Osborne County, KS?
Cities and towns located in the County include Osborne, Downs, Natoma, Portis, Alton.
Osborne County, KS Vital Records
Where can find Osborne County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Osborne County vital records can be found at the Kansas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from July 1, 1911; marriage records from May 1913 and divorce records from July 1951. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kansas for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Osborne County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Kansas Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Kansas Marriage Project
- Kansas, Births and Christenings, 1818-1936
- Kansas, Births and Christenings Index, 1885-1911
- Kansas, Marriages, 1840-1935
- Kansas Marriage Index, 1854-73
- Kansas, County Marriages, 1855-1911
- Kansas, Security Benefit Association, Death Index, 1902-1930
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, Index, 1885-1930
- Kansas, Fraternal Order Death Index, 1873-1969
- Kansas, Deaths and Burials, 1885-1930
Osborne County, KS Census Records
What Osborne County, KS census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Osborne County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Osborne Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1880. Osborne Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1880. Osborne Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890.
Another census resource is the Kansas State Census Collection from 1855-1925. You'll find free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kansas Census Records Research Guide
Osborne County, KS Courthouse and Government Records
Osborne County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Osborne County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Osborne County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kansas Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Osborne County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted) is located at 423 West Main Street, Osborne, KS 67473-2301; Phone: (785) 346-2431.
- Osborne County Clerks Office has Birth Records from 1911 , Marriage Records from 1872 and Death Records from 1911. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Osborne County Register of Deeds Office has Land Records from 1871. The Register of Deeds shall have custody of and safely keep and preserve all the books, records, deeds, maps, papers and microphotographs deposited or kept in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Register of Deeds shall also record or cause to be recorded all deeds, mortgages, maps, instruments and writings authorized by law to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds and shall perform all other duties as are required by law.
- Osborne County Clerk of District Court has Probate Records from 1871 and Court Records from 1871. The Clerk of Court is part of the Judicial Branch of local government and as such is required to maintain a record of all documents filed with the courts, keep a record of all court proceedings, and collect various fines and forfeitures ordered by the court and specified by statute.
- BLM Land Records
Osborne County, KS Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Osborne County, KS?
A list of Osborne County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kansas Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
Where can I connect with other Osborne County, KS Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Osborne County, KS?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Osborne County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Osborne Co. KS Books, Newspapers & Publications
Osborne Co. KS Cemeteries & Church Records
- Kansas Cemetery Research Guide (raogk.org)
- "Osborne County Kansas Burials, 1866-2000" by Von Rothenberger, the definitive work on all known burials in Osborne County, Kansas. The over 54,000 entries cover all 41 county cemeteries and several hundred farm graves also found across the county. Entries are alphabetical by surname with birthdate, deathdate, and burial location. Most entries also have a biographical paragraph listing parents, military info, birthplace and deathplace is outside of county, marriage dates, etc. Women are cross-referenced by maiden and other known married names. The hardcover book is 940 pages long. Published by Ad Astra Publishing LLC.
- Osborne Co., Kansas Graves (findagrave.com)
- Osborne County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Osborne Co., Kansas Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for Osborne County, Kansas
- Osborne Co., Kansas Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Kansas Church & Bible Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Topographic Church List and Map for Osborne County, Kansas
- Osborne County, Kansas Church Books (amazon.com)
Osborne Co. KS Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Osborne Co. KS General and History Websites
Osborne Co. KS Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Osborne Co. KS Military Records