St Joseph County, Indiana
Genealogy, History & Facts
St Joseph County, Indiana Facts
When was St Joseph County, IN Created?
St Joseph County was established on January 29, 1830 from Unorganized Land (becoming effective April 1, 1830). This county was named for St. Joseph River, which flows through it toward Lake Michigan.
What is the County Seat of St Joseph County, IN?
The County Seat is located in South Bend also, the county government website is www.stjosephcountyindiana.com/ .
What counties are adjacent to St Joseph County, IN?
Bordering Counties are Berrien County, Michigan (north), Cass County, Michigan (northeast), Elkhart County (east), Marshall County (south), Starke County (southwest), LaPorte County (west).
What cities and towns are in St Joseph County, IN?
Cities and towns located in the County include Indian Village, Lakeville, Mishawaka, New Carlisle, North Liberty, Osceola, Roseland, South Bend, Walkerton, Granger.
What Townships are in St Joseph County, IN?
Townships located in the County include Centre, Clay, German, Greene, Harris, Liberty, Lincoln, Madison, Olive, Penn, Portage, Union, Warren.
St Joseph County, IN Vital Records
Where can find St Joseph County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
St Joseph County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for St Joseph County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the St Joseph County Department of Health, 227 W. Jefferson Blvd., Rm 825, South Bend, In 46601-1870 ; Phone: 574-235-9750 ; maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records. They have Birth & Death Records from 1882.
- Marriage records, St. Joseph County, South Bend, Indiana
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Indiana Marriage Project
- Indiana, Births and Christenings, 1773-1933
- Indiana Births, 1880-1920
- Indiana Marriage Records, Various Sources 1919 – 2001
- Indiana Marriages to 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages through 1850
- Genealogy Database: Marriages: 1993-2004
- Indiana, Marriages, 1780-1992
- Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920
- Indiana Deaths, 1882-1920
St Joseph County, IN Census Records
What St Joseph County, IN census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Adams County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
St Joseph Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. St Joseph Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. St Joseph Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Indiana Census Records Research Guide
St Joseph County, IN Courthouse and Government Records
St Joseph County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the St Joseph County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in St Joseph County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Indiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- St Joseph County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 South Main Street, South Bend, IN 46601
- St Joseph County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (574) 235-9635
- Marriage Records: 1830
- Probate Records: 1830
- Court Records: 1830
- St Joseph County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 227 W. Jefferson Blvd. Room 321, South Bend, IN 46601
- Phone: (574) 235-9525
- Land Records: 1830
- St Joseph County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- BLM Land Records
St Joseph County, IN Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for St Joseph County, IN?
A list of St Joseph County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Indiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- St. Joseph County Historian, John Kovach, 7982 Potato Hole Court, New Carlisle, IN 46552-9062, Home Phone: (574) 654-7983
- St. Joseph Public Library's Genealogy Department, Local & Family History Services, 304 S. Main St. in South Bend, IN 46601; PH# 574-282-4621
- Northern Indiana Historical Society, 808 W. Washington, South Bend, IN 46601; Phone: 574-235-9664
- Center for History (South Bend), 808 W. Washington St., South Bend, IN 46601-1439; Phone: (574) 235-9664
- Hannah Lindahl Children's Museum, 1402 S. Main St., Mishawaka, IN 46544-5241; Phone: (574) 254-4540
- Historic New Carlisle, P.O. Box 107, New Carlisle, IN 46552-0107; Phone: (574) 654-3897
- Michiana Jewish Historical Society, 3202 Shalom Way, South Bend, IN 46615-2955; Phone: (574) 233-1164
- Mishawaka-Penn-Harris Public Library, 209 Lincolnway E., Mishawaka, IN 46544-2084; Phone: (574) 259-5277
- Osceola Historical Society, P.O. Box 14, Osceola, IN 46561-0014
- South Bend Area Genealogical Society, 209 Lincolnway E., Mishawaka, IN 46544-2014
- Walkerton Area Historical Society, 413 Michigan St., Walkerton, IN 46(574) 1115; Phone: (574) 586-2852
- Indiana State Archives, 6440 E. 30th St., Indianapolis, IN 46219; (317) 591-5222
- Indiana State Library, 140 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204-2296
- Indiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10507, Fort Wayne IN 46852
- Indiana Historical Society, 450 W. Ohio St, Indianapolis,IN 46202
Where can I connect with other St Joseph County, IN Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in St Joseph County, IN?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to St Joseph County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
St Joseph Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
St Joseph Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
St Joseph Co. IN Cemeteries & Church Records
St Joseph Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
St Joseph Co. IN General and History Websites
- St Joseph County, Indiana Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of St. Joseph County, Indiana : together with sketches of its cities, villages and townships, educational, religious, c (search.ancestry.com)
- Pictorial and biographical memoirs of Elkhart and St. Joseph Counties, Indiana : together with biographies of many prominent me (search.ancestry.com)
- South Bend and the men who have made it : historical, descriptive, biographical (search.ancestry.com)
- Historic background of South Bend and St. Joseph County in northern Indiana (search.ancestry.com)
- A brief record of four pioneer families of St. Joseph County, Indiana (search.ancestry.com)
- Early Indiana History for St Joseph County (countyhistory.com)
- Map of St Joseph Co. Historical Markers (in.gov)
- St Joseph County, Indiana Wiki (familysearch.org)
- St Joseph Co. IN Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- St Joseph County, Indiana (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Indiana - Counties - St Joseph (cyndislist.com)
- St Joseph County Indiana (genealogytrails.com)
- St Joseph Co. INGenweb (ingenweb.org)
- St Joseph County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- St Joseph Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
St Joseph Co. IN Military Records