Scott County, Indiana
Genealogy and Facts
Scott County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Scott Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Scott County was founded on February 1, 1820 from Clark County, Jackson County, Jefferson County, Jennings County and Washington County. This county was named for Charles Scott, Governor of Kentucky.
The Scott County Seat is located in Scottsburg also, the county government website is scottcountyin.com .
Counties bordering Scott County are Jennings County (north), Jefferson County (east), Clark County (south), Washington County (west), Jackson County (northwest).
Cities, Towns & Communities located in Scott County include Austin, Scottsburg, Lexington.
Townships located in Scott County include Finley, Jennings, Johnson, Lexington, Vienna.
Scott County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Scott Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Scott Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Scott Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Scott County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Scott County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Scott County Historian, Thelma G. Hogue, 904 Lakeview Drive, Scottsburg, IN 47170; Phone: (812) 752-5042
- Lexington Historical Society, P.O. Box 238, Lexington, IN 47138; Phone: (812) 889-2044
- Scott County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 23, Scottsburg, IN 47170-0023; Phone: (812) 752-3388
- Scott County Heritage Center and Museum, P.O. Box 122, Scottsburg, IN 47170-0122; Phone: (812) 752-1050
- Scott County Historical Society, P.O. Box 245, Scottsburg, IN 47170-0245; Phone: (812) 889-2044
- Southern Indiana Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 665, New Albany, IN 47151-0665
- Scott County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Scott County
- Scott County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Scott County
- USGenWeb Archives for Scott County
Scott County Courthouse and Government Records
Scott County Courthouse
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Scott County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Scott County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Scott County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
- Scott County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Scott County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: One East McClain Avenue, Scottsburg, IN 47170
- Phone: (812) 752-8420
- Marriage Records: 1820
- Probate Records: 1820
- Court Records: ?
- Scott County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 1 E. McClain Ave., Room 100, Scottsburg 47170
- Phone: 812-752-8408
- Land Records: 1819
- Scott County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Scott County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Scott County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Scott County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Scott County genealogy or family history related sites.
Scott Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Scott Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Scott Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Scott Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Scott Co. IN Census Records
Scott Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Scott Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Scott Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Scott Co. IN General and History Websites
Scott Co. IN Military Records