Ripley County, Indiana
Ripley County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Ripley Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Ripley County was founded on April 10, 1818 from Dearborn County and Jefferson County. This county was named for Gen. Eleazer Wheelock Ripley, hero of the War of 1812.
The Ripley County Seat is located in Versailles also, the county government website is www.ripleycounty.com/ .
Counties bordering Ripley County are Franklin County (north), Dearborn County (east), Ohio County (southeast), Switzerland County (southeast), Jefferson County (south), Jennings County (west), Decatur County (northwest).
Cities, Towns & Communities located in Ripley County include Batesville, Holton, Milan, Napoleon, Osgood, Sunman, Versailles.
Townships located in Ripley County include Adams, Brown, Center, Delaware, Franklin, Jackson, Johnson, Laughery, Otter Creek, Shelby, Washington.
Ripley County vital records can be found at the Indiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Indiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Ripley County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Indiana Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Application to mail.
Ripley County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Ripley Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ripley Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ripley Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Ripley County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Ripley County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana (raogk.org)
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Ripley County Historian, Michael Stratton, 4300 W. U.S. Highway 50, Holton, IN 47023-9172; Home Phone: (812) 689-7190
- Ripley County Historical Society, P.O. Box 525, Versailles, IN 47042-0525; Phone: (812) 689-3031
- Batesville Area Historical Society, 15 W. George St., Batesville, IN 47006; Phone: (812) 932-0999
- Ripley County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Ripley County
- Ripley County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Ripley County
- USGenWeb Archives for Ripley County
Ripley County Courthouse and Government Records
Ripley County Courthouse
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Ripley County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Ripley County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Ripley County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
- Ripley County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 115 N Main Street, Versailles 47042
- Ripley County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Address: ?
- Phone: (812) 689-6115
- Marriage Records: 1818
- Probate Records: 1818
- Court Records: 1818
- Ripley County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Phone: 812-689-5808
- Land Records: 1818
- Ripley County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Ripley County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
- Address: 102 W. 1st N St., Ste 106, Versailles, IN 47042-0423
- Phone: 812-689-5751
- Birth & Death Records: 1882
Ripley County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Ripley County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Ripley County genealogy or family history related sites.
Ripley Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Ripley Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Ripley Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Ripley Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Ripley Co. IN Census Records
Ripley Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Ripley Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Ripley Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Ripley Co. IN General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Indiana
- Ripley County, Indiana Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Abstracts of Ripley County, Indiana wills, December 1931 to November 1944 (search.ancestry.com)
- Ripley County, Indiana abstracts of wills 1909-1922 (search.ancestry.com)
- Abstracts of wills, Ripley County, Indiana, miscellaneous dates, Oct. 1857 to Sept. 1924 (search.ancestry.com)
- Early Indiana History for Ripley County (countyhistory.com)
- Map of Ripley Co. Historical Markers (in.gov)
- Ripley County, Indiana Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Ripley Co. IN Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Ripley County, Indiana (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Indiana - Counties - Ripley (cyndislist.com)
- Ripley County Indiana (genealogytrails.com)
- Ripley Co. INGenweb (ingenweb.org)
- Ripley County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Ripley Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Ripley Co. IN Military Records