Putnam County, Indiana
Genealogy and Facts
Putnam County, Indiana family history and genealogy research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you track your own Putnam Co., ancestors. Start now by building a Free Family Tree.
Putnam County was founded on April 1, 1822 from Owen County and Vigo County and Wabash New Purchase. This county was named for Gen. Israel Putnam, hero of the American Revolutionary War.
The Putnam County Seat is located in Greencastle also, the county government website is www.co.putnam.in.us/ .
Counties bordering Putnam County are Montgomery County (north), Hendricks County (east), Morgan County (southeast), Owen County (south), Clay County (southwest), Parke County (west).
Cities, Towns & Communities located in Putnam County include Bainbridge, Cloverdale, Fillmore, Greencastle, Roachdale, Russellville.
Townships located in Putnam County include Clinton, Cloverdale, Floyd, Franklin, Greencastle, Jackson, Jefferson, Madison, Marion, Monroe, Russell, Warren, Washington.
Putnam County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules can be found for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Putnam Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Putnam Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Putnam Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Putnam County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Putnam County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Indiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Putnam County Historian, Larry Tippin, 10968 N. 650 E., Roachdale, IN 46172-9394; Home Phone: (765) 522-4156
- Putnam County Genealogical Club, RR 1, Box 28, Bainbridge 46105
- Putnam County Historical Society, P.O. Box 801, Greencastle, IN 46135-0801
- Putnam Public Library, Local History and Genealogy Dept., 103 East Poplar St., Greencastle, IN 46135
- Putnam County Museum, 1105 N. Jackson St., Greencastle, IN 46135-1072; Phone: (765) 653-8419
- Putnam County, Indiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Putnam County
- Putnam County, Indiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Putnam County
- USGenWeb Archives for Putnam County
Putnam County Courthouse and Government Records
Putnam County Courthouse
Genealogist typically overlook the importance of Putnam County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Indiana courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of many Indiana inhabitants.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Putnam County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
The below details shows what birth, death, marriage, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Putnam County. The dates indicated listed below are the first widely known records for this particular county.
You need to speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or asking for information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. The majority of staff will assist people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the person to do the research.
- Putnam County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: One Courthouse Square, Greencastle, IN 46135
- Putnam County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses,
processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings. The County Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
- Phone: (765) 653-2648
- Marriage Records: 1820
- Probate Records: 1825
- Court Records: ?
- Putnam County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Address: 1 W Washington St, Room 25 Greencastle 46135
- Phone: 765-653-5613
- Land Records: 1824
- Putnam County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Putnam County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records
Putnam County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Putnam County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Putnam County genealogy or family history related sites.
Putnam Co. IN Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Putnam Co. IN Books, Newspapers & Publications
Putnam Co. IN Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Putnam Co. IN Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Putnam Co. IN Census Records
Putnam Co. IN Cemeteries & Graveyards
Putnam Co. IN Church & Bible Records
Putnam Co. IN Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Putnam Co. IN General and History Websites
Putnam Co. IN Military Records